betta aggressive toward ADF -- update on moving, have ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I've had my male betta in a 5 gal tank with two african dwarf frogs for over a month and a half. Today I just happened to glance over and my betta was attacking one of the frogs!! I mean, he really went after him about 3 or 4 times, pushing him through the water. There was no visible damage, and the betta didn't even glance in the direction of the other frog who was hanging out on the roots of some floating plants. They are all just doing their thing now and not careing about eachother. Should I worry? Also, my betta is now eating up the frogs' food and they aren't getting a chance to eat. They are more active than ever now so I don't think they are malnurished, but I just want to make sure they will be ok. If things get worse with my betta, should I transfer him over to my 10 gal tank and put my 3 female bettas in the 5 gal? Or should I just move the frogs over to the 10 gal (but I don't think they'd have a chance at getting food in there with my 5 zebra danios... there are also 2 otos, but they don't pay attention to anyone)

I would keep an eye on the frog and the betta. This has been known to happen.
Does the frogs' food float, or does the betta go to the bottom and eat the food?

ok, I will definatly keep an eye on the tank whenever I can. I've been so busy that I've only had time to turn on the tank lights and feed before I head to class. The betta snatches any sinking or floating food. I've tried hiding it in the plants where the frogs like to chill, but my betta somehow always finds it pretty quickly. He is such a pig! Right now mr. betta is swimming around enjoying the water change I just did and doing his "flare exercises." :roll:

I don't know enough about the frogs, but they may be finding enough food on the bottom of the tank. However, it does sound like the betta is eating too much. You may need to get a largish net and keep him contained while the frogs eat.

well, my betta doesn't have a fat belly so I'm not worried about him eating too much, just more so about the frogs. I'm not sure if the net idea will work with this specific case because the frogs have never learned to come to me or to a certain place to feed so my betta might have to kept in that net for a while until they find the food. In fact, any time I walk near the tank the frogs dart into their hiding spots. I'm currently trying to devise a way to sneak the food underneath a peice of slate where they like to hide. Only thing is the betta sometimes thinks it is a cool spot and so he'll sit down there with the frogs.

Hi rubysoho,
Bettas seem to either ignore or "torment" tankmates. I had a ghost shrimp in with my betta once -- my "sweet" betta, not the "psycho" one. The betta was very curious about the shrimp's food and wouldn't let him eat in peace. The shrimp died after only about a week -- I think my water was too soft for the shrimp, but I decided not to get the betta another tankmate.

I would definitely continue to watch; you may end up moving the betta or this may blow over. You could try putting the female bettas in the 5 gallon tank with the frogs. I never had female bettas so I don't know if they would also bother the frogs. The male betta should do ok in the 10 gallon with the danios and the otos, but you'd have to watch to make sure.

same here...i had a ghost shrimp , the betta ignored him for 2 months and then started going for his food not letting him eat :roll:
not todiscourage you but my shrimo died finally...

I would keep my eyes on them

Do your frogs eat if there's food in front of them? If so, maybe you could use tweezers or something and hold it out directly in front of them and then drop it when they start going for it. That's what I would do with my fish when the other would be like GRAA! (in a nutshell)

Well, I watched when I could for the rest of the day, and my betta ignored the two frogs, but I'll keep watching. I hope my betta doesn't start getting aggressive. As for eating what is in front of them, my frogs are too skittish for me to actually be able to get some food infront of them. Maybe if I just keep trying, they'll learn... We'll see what happens I guess.

I keep a tank with a male betta & couple of ADF's & the betta attacks the frogs sometimes especially when the frogs will mistake bettas long red fins for food & try to grab it. If the male betta sees this, he will put them back in their place. lol. That's the only time I seen the betta attack the frogs. For the frogs not getting enough food, I would suggest putting the food in a plastic tube & put in beside the frogs or squirt the food right into the frogs faces. I know they are kind of slow!

frogs need to be fed frozen blood worms with an eye dropper or a turkey baster. Its unfair for for you frogs not be getting enough found and its potentially dangerous for your betta to be eating too much. I would take the grogs to the 10 gal and feed them with the dropper. Dont bother putting a friend in with your betta; its more trouble than its worth.

yes, my main concern is the frogs as well. I saw my betta charge my frog again today so when I get home after work I am going to do some moving. My 3 femals will move to the 5 gal, and the male will head over to the 10 gal just because my 5 zebra danios are incredibly smart and like to investigate everything I put into the tank so they will learn the tube means food. My female bettas are smart, but not as fast so I think that will give the frogs a little more of a sporting chance. If I need to, I may end up picking up a little tank just for the froggies because I like them a lot!

OK, while it was cool to see my male betta in the cup courting my largest female, he is still acting aggressive toward the danios (still in the cup adjusting..and waiting to move all three females out). He has been attacking the sides of the cup trying to get to them. So I don't know what to do with him now if he will be aggressive to my danios and otos... I've had them longer and love them so much. What do you guys think? I'm not in the position to get another tank... should I maybe try and find a friend who wants a male betta? It makes me sad to think he will be too aggressive for me to keep in either of my tanks :cry:

Back
Top Bottom