Betta and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbettaowner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought two female bettas and four guppies. They are in a five gallon tank. One female betta has already died and a guppy died today. My remaining female betta seems to just float at the top of the tank and isn't eating anything. She is starting to worry me. Is she sick? I didn't get the fish acclimated to the water tempature as I am a new owner of fish in general. My guppies have fin rot and only healthy fish seems to attack the other guppies and leaves the female betta alone so I have that guppy seperated from the remaining fish. Is that normal for one guppy to be the "bully"? I put some medicine in both tanks so hopefully that will work. Please let me know as soon as possible.

two female bettas and 4 guppies? did you buy these all at the same time? My first guess is that the tank hasn't had time to cycle yet. look it up on google if you haven't/ 2nd guess is really more of an observation. the tank might well be overstocked so even if it is mature it may not be able to hold so many fish.. just do lots of partial water changes. that's the single best thing you can do for your fish.

A five gallon tank is too small for all of them. :( One betta, in my opinion, needs 5 gallons to itself.
Like Ian said, make sure you read up on the nitrogen cycle, and do the water changes.
If you want to keep all of those fish, you will need to get a bigger tank.

The thing that bothers me is the betta isn't really moving around. She is just swimming and isn't eating. I am wondering could she be sick.

How long has the tank been set up? If you recently set it up and didn't cycle it, your fish are actually being poisoned by their own waste. As dkpate suggested, read up on the nitrogen cycle. If you don't have a water test kit, get one. It's good to know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels as a gauge for the health of your tank.

In the meantime, try a 50% PWC and be sure to add dechlorinator before adding the new water.

I have recently set up the tank but I am sure that they have fin rot. But I am worried about the female betta. She isn't eating but she looks fine except she is swimming only at the top of the tank. The female betta is all I am worried about right now.

Change out 50% of the water and read up on the nitrogen cycle.

Good water quality will help your fish the most.

as far as the betta goes, it's not uncommon for them to stay in one place for a long time(especially if you don't have a heater. you do have one right?) so that in itself wouldn't worry me. it could just be timid and doesn't like the other fish. just make sure your doing lots of PWC'S

You need a liquid reagent test kit, like the API Freshwater Master kit, and you need to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

Your ammonia levels are likely through the roof. Do a 50% PWC immediately; I'd probably do another one in 12-24h. Get the test kit and start testing daily. Whenever your ammonia or nitrite levels are above .25ppm, do a PWC.

The fish store will likely recommend that you add chemicals such as AmmoniaSafe - they will NOT promote a cycle in your tank and I do not suggest going that route. A quality dechlorinator such as Prime, however, is absolutely vital.

I would not be surprised if you lose more fish. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you aren't prepared with information when starting a new hobby, particularly with live animals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom