Betta doesn't look too healthy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsog2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In the last day or so the color of my betta has turned grey in some areas. He also hasn't eaten much and his tank is a little cold (the last two points were covered already and I'm getting more varieties of food and a heater over the weekend).
Might he be sick? Or is this a reaction to the water temp being something like 60 (instead of the ideal 80)?
Thanks all.

Its possible the low temps have really affected his immune system; as I'm sure you read bettas prefer tropical temps. 60 isn't just a little cold for a betta; its a lot.

What are the water parameters (ammonia/nitrites/nitrates)? Ammonia poisoning can also cause a fish to lose color and appetite.

It could also be an infection. Is the fish just discolored? Or does it seem to have a coating or haze on it as well?

The chemical ocntent of ammonia, chlorine, etc. should be fine, I use the proper amount of AmQuel Plus every time i change the water. His behavior doesn't seem to have changed since I first got him in the summer and no, there are no stringy things coming off of his fins. So perhaps the discoloration is due to temperatures being cold. I will let you know if things get better after I add the heater.
Thanks all.

Should and are are 2 very diff things. If you don't have any tests at home, bring a water sample to a lfs; most are willing to test the water for you. One never knows if one has gotten a defective bottle of Amquel Plus and its better to be safe then sorry. Just let the store know you are using it as it will affect Nessler ammonia tests.

But yeah. It is most likely the temps. Just to be thorough, the grey areas; are they raised? Fuzzy? A haze over the scales or under? You didn't say.

Back
Top Bottom