Betta fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So from my previous post my betta isn't floating any more but his fins are in horrible conditions.
If it was fin rot would it practically be eating it away or would I be able to find chunks all over the tank.
He isn't loosing colour or anything and iv now changed the water and tested it and it's fine. I didn't put Melafix because 'mumma of two' told me not to.
He's lost about half of his fins including the front ones (forget what their called :/)

This is what he used to look like

And this is what he looks like now.
Sorry for the bad photo :(

Attachments

• image-4039751957.jpg
    image-4039751957.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1109234655.jpg
    image-1109234655.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 80
pattyfurg said:
So from my previous post my betta isn't floating any more but his fins are in horrible conditions.
If it was fin rot would it practically be eating it away or would I be able to find chunks all over the tank.
He isn't loosing colour or anything and iv now changed the water and tested it and it's fine. I didn't put Melafix because 'mumma of two' told me not to.
He's lost about half of his fins including the front ones (forget what their called :/)

The fins will be eaten away. With clean water they should stop rotting off and should start to grow back. It might take a while for him to get back to his former glory though. Once his tank is cycled and his water conditions are stable and clean he will improve a lot more. Try a little bit of aquarium salt to help.

Mumma.of.two said:
The fins will be eaten away. With clean water they should stop rotting off and should start to grow back. It might take a while for him to get back to his former glory though. Once his tank is cycled and his water conditions are stable and clean he will improve a lot more. Try a little bit of aquarium salt to help.

Yeah but the thing is I can find bits of his fins on the floor :/ is that a normal thing with fin rot?

pattyfurg said:
Yeah but the thing is I can find bits of his fins on the floor :/ is that a normal thing with fin rot?

:/ I suppose so. I can't think of anything else other than he might be getting it caught on something as well. They're just tiny bits or big chunks? I'd be more worried if they are big bits.

Has he gotten any worse over night? He's not floating anymore so that's a good thing. :)

I suppose so. I can't think of anything else other than he might be getting it caught on something as well. They're just tiny bits or big chunks? I'd be more worried if they are big bits.

Has he gotten any worse over night? He's not floating anymore so that's a good thing. :)

Yeah almost half his fins are gone but its all in little strings except I just came back from work and his whole ventral fin gas come off :(

I'd test your decor for rough edges. In the picture, it appears to be the type of resin ornament that needs to be filed down with an emery board. He could quite likely be catching his finnage on that, if you're seeing chunks.

I put him in a new tank and there's no decorations. The only thing thats in there is a heater and air stone which isn't turned on :/ I don't think there is anything for him to scratch it on.

Hholly said:
What are you testing your water with? How much water are you changing out?

I'm changing 50% every day
And I test the water with API test kits.
Not the strips.

pattyfurg said:
Yeah almost half his fins are gone but its all in little strings except I just came back from work and his whole ventral fin gas come off :(

Oh. He's really not sounding too well. IMO the last thing you want to do is start throwing medications at him in his weakened state but some one else might have a different opinion. Do you have any salt?

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh. He's really not sounding too well. IMO the last thing you want to do is start throwing medications at him in his weakened state but some one else might have a different opinion. Do you have any salt?

I'm going to buy some today :D
Should I follow the instructions or less :/

pattyfurg said:
I'm going to buy some today :D
Should I follow the instructions or less :/

Maybe just try a half dose to begin with. So that's 1 level tablespoon per 10gal (40L) for a half dose. Dissolve in a container of tank water and add in over the course of a few hours.

This is all good advice. The only thing I might suggest is a small dose of Stress Coat to help the raw parts to heal and to stimulate the slime coat. It has aloe in it to help soothe the wounds. I wouldnt do a full dose at first, maybe 1/3 or 1/2.

Retired_AF said:
This is all good advice. The only thing I might suggest is a small dose of Stress Coat to help the raw parts to heal and to stimulate the slime coat. It has aloe in it to help soothe the wounds. I wouldnt do a full dose at first, maybe 1/3 or 1/2.

Yeah iv added some stress coat already.
He doesn't seem to be getting any better :/

Back
Top Bottom