Betta -- FIN ROT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
FINALLY convinced my girlfriend her betta needs to be in a tank! He's got horrible fin rot and has had it since August. She's had him in a 2g bowl since last February and had tried Bettafix and Melafix. She changed the bowl once a week... No filter, no heater.
I couldn't take it anymore!!! I put him in it! My disinfected cleaned up 10g is now his castle. I'm hoping with frequent PWC's he will recover. Have seen him swim across the tank a few times and play in the filter bubbles...

I'm so sad for his poor fins...

Meet Fluffy :

View attachment 68099

View attachment 68100

View attachment 68102

View attachment 68101

Meds are not usually necessary for this kind of thing. Lots and lots of clean stable water will usually do the trick. If it was me I would do a 50% water change daily until his fins improved and then slack off a bit to every couple of days then finally get back to 50% a week.

blert said:
Meds are not usually necessary for this kind of thing. Lots and lots of clean stable water will usually do the trick. If it was me I would do a 50% water change daily until his fins improved and then slack off a bit to every couple of days then finally get back to 50% a week.

Sure thing... Will do :)
I'm so glad I was able to get him in here...

ocminpin said:
How bad does he look? He's a crowntail..

It's hard to tell from the pics for me (dark and on iPhone) but not too bad. As blert said clean water is usually all that is needed. If you decide to use meds don't use melifix or pimafix at full strength. Bettas do not do well with them because of their labyrinth organ. Use a 1/5 dose.

Mumma.of.two said:
It's hard to tell from the pics for me (dark and on iPhone) but not too bad. As blert said clean water is usually all that is needed. If you decide to use meds don't use melifix or pimafix at full strength. Bettas do not do well with them because of their labyrinth organ. Use a 1/5 dose.

How would you know if his labyrinth organ has been damaged... She used Bettafix and melaifix for 3 mths or so...

He flares at me.. Hates me... Moves forward And hits the Glass swimming forward coming at me...
With her he waves frantically...

It's okay, he/she will eventually take a liking to you. :)
Feed the betta some bloodworms, mine always wags his tail for some!!!!

Fishnova said:
It's okay, he/she will eventually take a liking to you. :)
Feed the betta some bloodworms, mine always wags his tail for some!!!!

I'm the only one who has fed him since she brought him home! Id think he'd like me! It's been 10 mths! :) he hates bloodworms... However my female betta LOVES them... He doesn't like flakes... Only the Betta Pellets and occasional Baby brine shrimp..

ocminpin said:
I'm the only one who has fed him since she brought him home! Id think he'd like me! It's been 10 mths! :) he hates bloodworms... However my female betta LOVES them... He doesn't like flakes... Only the Betta Pellets and occasional Baby brine shrimp..

He sounds fine. Usually if it has affected them when the meds are added they drop and stop swimming. If that happens a large PWC ASAP is needed to remove the meds.

The pellets are good. I'd stay away from the flakes. Can give them bloated bellies. The blood worms and shrimp can too but can be fed occasionally.

I'm sure he will warm up to you soon. After all who couldn't be happy when living in a mansion!

Mumma.of.two said:
He sounds fine. Usually if it has affected them when the meds are added they drop and stop swimming. If that happens a large PWC ASAP is needed to remove the meds.

The pellets are good. I'd stay away from the flakes. Can give them bloated bellies. The blood worms and shrimp can too but can be fed occasionally.

I'm sure he will warm up to you soon. After all who couldn't be happy when living in a mansion!

I just feed him 3 pellets every other day...
My female I alternate pellets, tropical crisps that I feed the others and bloodworms once a week. Fed every other day.

I hope he has an attitude adjustment... I'm quite disappointed he hates me so much.. I even used to slip my heater in his bowl a couple times a day.. LOL
Yea I wish he could associate me with his mansion :)

He doesn't like you because your messing around with his girlfriend. ;)

Back
Top Bottom