Betta Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My HM betta has been suffering from fin rot since I got him 3 months ago. He had almost conquered it when hes was kicked out of his 10g temporarily and had to move to a 2g for a month and it came back with a vengeance. Last night I moved him back to his 10g and today he looks like a CT. I just put 5ml's of Melafix in along with a pinch of Aquarium Salt and the temp is set at 80. Is there anything else I can do for my poor George?

ForumRunner_20120129_103611.jpg

ForumRunner_20120129_103559.jpg

ForumRunner_20120129_103535.jpg

make sure u use 1/5 the dose for melafix cause it can be toxic for bettas... ive been treating mine with aquarium salt and frequent water changes and stress coat... he doesnt do so well with the melafix but every fish is different... ive heard of using the marcyn 2 tabs i think is what they are called if it is a severe case of fin rot.... mine is due to water conditions.... someone with more experience with bettas can help more than i can... :)

Sorry about George! He looks fabulous still.

I've read around that a salt bath may help. I'd take the 2g and add like 4-6 tablespoons of aquarium salt then put George in there for 10-15 mins, take him out if there is issues. Other than that all I've gotten is Melafix works good and something called Erythromycin works good as well. I hope George returns to his usual gorgeous self!!!

Poor George. I would say at that stage of fin rot you might want to try Erythromycin as mentioned above. Be careful as it will kill all your good filter bacteria, so if you can you will want to treat him in QT tank away from your cycled filter. Aside from treatment water change water change water change. Clean water does wonders for healing fin rot on fish, especially bettas, and as has also been mentioned and as you are already doing, salt can be helpful as well. He is a beautiful betta. I hope you can get him back to his original finnage. :)

Thanks for the replys! Now can I get Erythromycin at any petstore? I'll be running to petsmart to get a hood (or a new 55 ;) ) in about 30 mins so I could pick it up then. Aquakai had suggested in a PM that I do morning and night 10% pwcs so I will be doing that. I got a 50% and 25% pwc in today so I think I'll be good. I may try a salt dip tonight.

Thank you all for the compliments about George, He's my baby :)

Update-
Now he has little red sores all over his body. I totally forgot his medication while I was at the LFS, got caught up in the excitement of buying a new tank and forgot about my poor George. Should I pick up the meds today or do I need to take another course of action? Oh and his fins are just falling apart.

Back
Top Bottom