Betta Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

galadriel48p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, so it's been a couple of weeks since I did the aquarium salt treatment. First, his condition initially stopped getting worse and he gained some color IMG_2297.jpg Thanks IMG_2295.jpgand I thought he was going to get better, but now more and more fin is disappearing. I do 50-60% water changes 2-3 times a week, he eats fine and everything. Should I try another salt round or use medication, and if so what kind and how much? Thanks in advance, I'm really worried about him!

Just keep the water clean, make sure there's nothing in the tank that will snag his fins. No high flow from filter. And be careful with changing water out. Too much water at one time while they are in the tank will stress some Betta's out. might try a few 25%. And test the water with a test kit. Keep the tank clean, clear of ammonia. You can add salt it's up to you.

Just keep the water clean, make sure there's nothing in the tank that will snag his fins. No high flow from filter. And be careful with changing water out. Too much water at one time while they are in the tank will stress some Betta's out. might try a few 25%. And test the water with a test kit. Keep the tank clean, clear of ammonia. You can add salt it's up to you.

I have the filter off, how much salt should I use? Should I do a full 9-10 day treatment?

1/2 teaspoon per gallon of Aquarium salt. 7-10 days. Dissolve it defore putting it in and at same temp. Add slowly.

1/2 teaspoon per gallon of Aquarium salt. 7-10 days. Dissolve it defore putting it in and at same temp. Add slowly.

Will it harm the fish because I did it already? I heard that using the salt too much can hurt them

Imo. No. But salt works better for ich. And salt don't treat fin rot. It just makes them more relaxed to breath better and not get stressed out so much. Fin rot will go away at the same pace with or without salt. Clean water, clean tank will do just as good if not better than salt. I use salt more for ich on my Betta's. But if fin rot ever got to the max on mine I would add it just to de-stress them until I started seeing results. Fin rot can get bad for these little guys if it ain't took care of. The trick is to baby them. And make them happy. They are as bad as a 2yr old throwing a temper tantrum when not happy. After water changes throw him some blood warms it helps.

That's your call. If you do I'd get something good for Betta's, not just anything. I don't, because some take months to grow back. If you start seeing white tips then it's growing. If it's black it's getting worse. My veil tail has went back and forth so much from black to white and black again. I've found when you figure out what the stress is caused from then he heals faster cause you know what to fix. Like mine, I found everytime I did a water change, I looked at temp on my tank temp gauge and was using a different gauge for the new water, found out later that my gauges were off by 2 degrees. And was doing too big of water changes. So the temp was changing too fast. Little things you would never think of. Another one is I almost sucked him up in my vacuum one time, fin rot set in fast with that one. It's just things you learn from. Everything takes time. I wouldn't jump too fast with meds. Too much meds can make them sicker sometimes or just not live as long.

Thanks, I'll probably start a little salt again and do 25% water changes and see what happens. How frequently should I do the 25s?

If it's a cycled tank I'd be doing at least every 3-4days and and I'd do 2-50% but if you wanta know for sure just test it everyday for a week and find your schedule. When your ammonia is getting high that's the day to change. I recommend a 3-5 gallon for his type. And it would be less maintenance for you and better for him. Smaller tanks are a pain. Sometimes daily water changes and fin rot is always creeping up on ya. I got a 10g with a divider and 1 Betta in each side. And a short tail (crown tail) in a 3.5g. All have filters and heaters. I change the water once a wk in all of them.

Back
Top Bottom