Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I Agree..... Epsom or even aquarium salt helps heal fins. I think for future care, weekly 40-50% water changes would make a world of difference. In smaller tanks there really is no reason to not change a good amount of water weekly.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My understanding is aquarium salt assists in creating a slime coat. Also FW fish must have some salt in their bodies, which I understand can come from the tank water in normal osmosis.

Epsom "salt" is actually magnesium sulfate and there are some studies showing it's positive effects on skin (human) / it is needed in the body (again - I am not the science major here), good for muscles and said to help aid in stress relief.

It is used for a number of things including keeping fish tank water chemistry buffered and aiding in plant health in aquariums and in the garden, and numerous fish have been helped with bloat and other ailments, I think it helps with the fish osmosis, maybe to help get it back in order which helps the fish be able to heal. Not positive on that. But would recommend a try.

Hoping all goes well! Healthier food than simply pellets I think also helpful.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't disagree with Epsom salt. Although, I've really only used it for constipation because it's a natural laxative. Aquarium salt has been a common standard for onset stages of fin rot and fin injury in freshwater fish. I've had success with both.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, she’s been feeding him frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, no pellets. She refuses to give him pellets because she thinks they’re unhealthy for him.
I don’t know if she has any Epsom salts, but I can ask her tomorrow. How would she does those?
I’ll also pass on that she should vacuum the gravel and change the water more.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

A varied diet is what keeps fish from having intestinal problems. So feeding the same thing every day usually isn't good. At the least, she should feed him a veggie based pellet food a couple times a week as betta are omnivores.

The dose for Epsom salt, Autumnsky might have a different method, for me is 1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons of water. Then after a 3-4 days up the dosage to 2 TEAspoons per 5 gallons of water. In more severe cases you can add 1 TEAspoon per gallon of water.

When she vacuums the gravel tell her to lightly vacuum the surface of the gravel. Don't go deep into it or it can cause a bacterial bloom in her tank.

My personal recommendation is changing 50% of the water every 3 days until the betta is doing better then 50% water change once a week. Never letting the tank go longer than a week without a water change.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My dose for Epsom Salt for treating illness is a bit higher.

Similar in the getting the fish used to the ES. Gradually adding it in.

And IF the lower amount initially seems to be good then you might not need the ramped up /higher amount.

Initially 1 teaspoon per gallon when treating illness.

Then changing over after a couple days to and also gradually 1 tablespoon per gallon for serious conditions where you might end up losing the fish. I usually would run that amount for 7-10 days, then reducing down to 1 tsp per gallon. For another week or 10 days.

If it seems the fish is good in the initial 1 Tablespoon treatment, I would still do the extra week of the 1 teaspoon. Then for a time the 1 tablespoon per 5G just helps keep a little extra security that is a very low amount in 5G.

Your situation seems to be getting better, the lower level amount would be fine of the 1 teaspoon per gallon.

Just provided the extra amount in treatment info for future needs of yourself or other readers in a similar situation.

My usual method is ES measured into a container (plastic cup - trenta starbucks cup and lid) super hot water and mixed about half way up cup, plenty of mixing room, stir or can swirl with the lid on until basically dissolved.

Then do the pwc

Either the mixture has cooled on its own or you can add cool water for tank temp. Add a drop of Prime. The rest is fine at room temp.

Add 1/4 of mixture into the tank. It is not a huge deal if some fine crystalized particles go in. Then about every 8 hours I add in the next 1/4 portion.

The mix can be calculated to make an amount for a premixed solution.

Say you know you will be changing 1G of water every day or time - half cup of concentrate in 32/33 ounce bottle will be about 8 portions of concentrate.

To make it easier I use a re-labeled big plastic drinking water bottle or gallon size, depends on how much concentrate you need if it was a bigger water change.

Inked with Sharpie lines for each amount/portion when using a smaller water bottle, larger gallon would be pour out how much you need in a pre-marked cup.

Don't forget to treat water ES concentrate with Prime.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fin, fin rot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com