Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Betta Fin Rot Help

I havenít been around for a long time, but Iím trying to help a friend whose Betta appears to have fin rot.
She keeps him in a 20 gallon planted tank in her office. She says she changes 50% of the water a couple times a month. She has a test kit and when I helped her set the tank up it was cycled, but I havenít been able to go over and check the water since then, and she doesnít know how to test herself.
She rescued the Betta from Petco, and when she got him the tips of his fins were red colored, so that might have hidden any redness? As of right now, his fins appear shredded and uneven, and much shorter. She is keeping him in a plastic Kritter Keeper while she medicates him, and she changes the water daily. Sheís using E.R. Erythromycin. I canít tell yet from her photos if his fins are getting any better, but I do know today the fishís healing got set back significantly. Her cat has never paid any attention to the fish, who is situated on the counter and has been there for weeks while she treats him, but today she came home to the Kritter Keeper knocked off the counter. The cat, luckily, couldnít get into the still closed container, which was upside down on the floor, but the water leaked out of the lid. The fish was miraculously alive in the little bit of water left, but his dorsal fin is missing a pretty big chunk after his fall.
Besides keeping the fish in a room where the cat canít get into, what should she be doing to treat his fin rot and now injury?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminginBlue View Post
I havenít been around for a long time, but Iím trying to help a friend whose Betta appears to have fin rot.
She keeps him in a 20 gallon planted tank in her office. She says she changes 50% of the water a couple times a month. She has a test kit and when I helped her set the tank up it was cycled, but I havenít been able to go over and check the water since then, and she doesnít know how to test herself.
She rescued the Betta from Petco, and when she got him the tips of his fins were red colored, so that might have hidden any redness? As of right now, his fins appear shredded and uneven, and much shorter. She is keeping him in a plastic Kritter Keeper while she medicates him, and she changes the water daily. Sheís using E.R. Erythromycin. I canít tell yet from her photos if his fins are getting any better, but I do know today the fishís healing got set back significantly. Her cat has never paid any attention to the fish, who is situated on the counter and has been there for weeks while she treats him, but today she came home to the Kritter Keeper knocked off the counter. The cat, luckily, couldnít get into the still closed container, which was upside down on the floor, but the water leaked out of the lid. The fish was miraculously alive in the little bit of water left, but his dorsal fin is missing a pretty big chunk after his fall.
Besides keeping the fish in a room where the cat canít get into, what should she be doing to treat his fin rot and now injury?
She should remove him from that tank. He has to work to hard for air and to swim. He need a gallon till he is better. EM erythromycin, or seachems sulfplex, treatment should turn him around. He needs a temp around 80-82. He will also need about 10 % daily water change and time.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlover99 View Post
She should remove him from that tank. He has to work to hard for air and to swim. He need a gallon till he is better. EM erythromycin, or seachems sulfplex, treatment should turn him around. He needs a temp around 80-82. He will also need about 10 % daily water change and time.
Sorry a bunch of this didn't load for me. Higher temp, and keep up with EM erythromycin. Giving him a 24 hour break in between the 4 day treatments. Salt will greatly help him. Methylene blue dips would be really beneficial, if not that then Indian almond leaf extract there is some meat just for betta fish on Amazon what are the leaf itself in the water has anti-fungal properties, and will help him heal. He needs time. The stress from the cat however might have pushed him over the edge.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay, thank you! I’ll work on getting her to get some methylene blue. What sort of tank should I get her to move him to? She only has the 20 gallon, I think.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminginBlue View Post
Okay, thank you! Iíll work on getting her to get some methylene blue. What sort of tank should I get her to move him to? She only has the 20 gallon, I think.
He honestly would be better off in a betta keeper while she medicating him. After he is stronger he can go back into the 20 gallon, I would make sure that there isn't alot of current for him in the bigger tank. I had one betta that had like no fin left he was starting to pinecone. The sulfplex by seachems worked best for him along with the dip and daily water changes. Just remember Betta's are jumpers so I suggest not filling tank all the way. About 2 inches from the rim is good.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He’s having daily water changes and he had his first methylene blue dip today. She’s stopped the antibiotics for now, and will be dipping and changing him and his water daily until he recovers.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Friend and I figured out a better system for caring for him. He’s in the Kritter Keeper, which has the water changed in it daily. While his Kritter Keeper is being water changed, he gets put into a separate smaller container and fed brine shrimp and bloodworms. Then he gets his methylene blue dip and it’s back into the Kritter Keeper he goes. The Kritter Keeper is inside of a larger tank with the proper temperature, and is pinned to the side of the rank using a magnetic algae scrubber. This way, his water is kept the correct temperature, but he is still able to have a small, isolated container of water that is changed every day.
It seems like the temperature change and baths are helping. She says he looks so much healthier and she thinks his fins may be beginning to grow back. I really hope he’ll make a full recovery!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good to hear things seem to be looking up.

The huge helping factor is basically perfect water. Long fins on the Bettas sit at the bottom of the tank in very low flow and often not having any gravel vac since there is usually just easy pwc from the top of the tank. It gets mucky and ideal for getting bacterial infection.

Recently I fixed up a Betta with the good water changes, aquarium salt and Epsom salt. Had to end up using meds / Kanaplex (Seachem). He is doing well now. Still keeping up for an additional week with the Epsom salts until we can make sure he is good. We did the feed in a cup too so we could get the most food and not get his tank too much pollution. Keeping some dried leaves too with him.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I’ve been watching your Betta heal, and you’ve done a great job! I’m very glad he’s recovering. I hope my friend’s little guy will follow suit.
I’m not entirely sure how her Betta ended up with fin rot, but I’m guessing since she got him from Petco, he could’ve already had it from sitting in those awful cups (that the staff never seems to change the water in). I know she kept him in a 20 gallon that was cycled and did water changes monthly (?). Not too sure on details beyond that. She does have a gravel vac and I showed her how to use it, so I think she has been getting the gunk out.
I should see if my friend can get some Indian almond leaves, but I don’t know if anywhere near us carries them. He seems to be healing up well with just the daily water changes and methylene blue dips, so I didn’t think she needed to use salt or the leaves, but maybe that would be a good idea?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe Epsom after the treatments. It is a healing mineral. There can be more than one way to heal up a fish. It is in my experiences an excellent tool for restoring health. Very clean water is key though.

She will need to do more frequent pwc than 2x per month I think.

My recommendation further is to VERY gently rinse the substrate either in the entirety or with gentle but thorough vac'ing in hopes to remove excess build up. But not destroy the BB. If there is some left.

She could be feeding the BB some food in the tank once or 2 times a week as well unless a med which kills off BB was used IN the tank.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fin, fin rot, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com