Betta Fin Rot - Nothing stopping it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuclearkielbasa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, I'm ashamed at how bad my Betta's fin rot has gotten and I need help; I've been fighting rot ever since I purchased him, and it's never stopped, only slowed down. I've had him for just about a year and a half now. He's lot a LOT of his fins - it's terrible to look at.

I'm at my wits' end with it, and how nothing is working. I've tried everything I've been able to get - tetracycline, erythro, maracyn plus, and methylene blue. None of it stops, Just slows it.

Unfortunately, I think it might be something in my water- I recently purchased an apple snail and it didn't last a week.
My tank is cycled and params are great, and I keep things maintained ( almost a bit too obsessively...). Betta is all alone in his tank, and i used to do 30% tank change every Friday or so, but now that his tail is so bad I've been doing it every other day.

I use Prime to condition, and I give him some stress coat (even tho its not working...), and some vitachem.
Attitude wise, he still eats like a pig. He is however LOT more 'lazy' now, and he has a hard time swimming because of how much finnage he's lost.

Is there any secret thing I could try that I've not done?? I'm worried that it will never stop rotting, and it'll reach his body and i don't know what to do.

Can you list what readings are and test kit?

Also what is substrate? Some glass pebble ones are just a muck trap.

Those meds are either older types or favour treating gram+ bacteria whereas most aquarium bacteria is gram negative. Not that isn’t worth a try but would swap to furan 2.

As well, if the tank filter is big enough, id just have a very thin layer of pebbles on tank floor. Makes it easier to gravel vac as the substrate is a huge trap.

Meds links

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Medication.html

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fungus-guard-tabs-8pk

'Contains two antibiotics as Furan 2 (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. The Kdichromate is a strong oxidizer.'

Feeding might need dropping down to. Less muck, cleaner water.

The water changes are great, just roughly temp match tap water to tank.

Hey Delapool,

Thank you very much for your advice - I was able to get some Furan from the LFS. Unfortunately, I was too late.

The night I posted this, I noticed he had a long read streak going thru his body from his tail, and despite frantically medicating him, he passed away this evening.

I'm pretty sure it was possibly septicemia, even though his tail rot wasn't close to his body. Or maybe the Furan was the final straw for his immune system after dealing with so many medications over the 2 years...

SIP, Naveed!:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom