Betta - Fin rot or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshie In Disguise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a little bummed out to find that Juno has something goofy going on. :(

I noticed his fins had sharp tips (just one sharp tip at the end of each fin) so I put him in my bitty little 1g hospital tank to begin a mild salt treatment.

I've never had a fish with fin rot, so I haven't a clue whether this is what I'm dealing with... But his fins look "twisty" at the ends, like someone grabbed the tips and just twisted them around and around and around until they stuck that way. Yesterday he had a tiny "pinhole" through his tailfin, but it has begun to close back up after increasing the salinity a bit.

I also have an aloe plant, but I'm not sure if that would help him or not.

Pictures would be difficult to obtain, but I can do it if I have to.

Yes this is fin rot... It can be healed with fresh and clean water. What tank was he in before you moved him to the 1g? He will likely be stressed in cramped quarters and delay the process of recovery...

ocminpin said:
Yes this is fin rot... It can be healed with fresh and clean water. What tank was he in before you moved him to the 1g? He will likely be stressed in cramped quarters and delay the process of recovery...

I agree. Leave him he in his normal tank. Keep the water as clean as possible. What size tank and what tank mates? You could add some salt to the main tank.

He came from a 20g with neon tetras, glofish, snails, ghost shrimp, and a bamboo shrimp. None of them seem any different, but I am hesitant to add salt to the main tank because of the snails. When you say 'clean water' what do you mean? My water parameters are CONSTANTLY 0-0-0, whether I like it or not. I have two Tetra Whisper 10-30g filters running on it, and I still do a small PWC every other day. What would you recommend for making the tank water cleaner?

Back
Top Bottom