betta fins seem frayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbeland

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can somebody take a look at this betta and let me know if the fins look ok? My daughter has had this fish for almost a year and I have never really looked close enough to know if its always been like this or not. Thank you. Also, any idea what type of betta? Male I assume?

ForumRunner_20131013_095129.jpg

You have fin rot. It's caused by poor water quality. What size tank is he in? What type filter do you have? How often do you change the water? How much do you change each time?

You have fin rot. It's caused by poor water quality. What size tank is he in? What type filter do you have? How often do you change the water? How much do you change each time?

I just put the fish in a2.5 gal w a tetra 3i filter and 7.5 watt heater. I just tested and have between .5 & 1 ppm amm 0 nitrites & 0 nitrates. Tank not cycled. Water at 70 degrees.

I figured it was better than the bowl it lived in for almost a year. Im realizing the water is poor quality. I do have a 20g I could take some media from. What do you suggest? I need to fix this obviously.

As long as the 20 is healthy go ahead and move a bit of media to seed your new filter. Bettas are very resilient and with a filter and good water he should be fine.

I was just reading about this and one site mentioned moving the fish to a .5-1 gallon bowl/tank and treating it w aquarium salt. Advised?

I wouldn't just yet. Moving him too many times will just stress him. I'd leave him in the 2.5 and make sure you have good water. Fresh water will do more for him then anything.

Back
Top Bottom