Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

betta fish dropsy?

My betta fish has been off these last few days. everything in the tank is fine (parameters for amonia etc) other fish in the tank are fine. the betta fish however is bloated on her underbellly and is very lathargic. she ate a pea yesterday (i heard that feeding them a small bit of pea may help with constipation as this is what i thought it was) but today is just sat on the bottom of the tank doing nothing. we even got another pea and stuck our finger in the top of the water like we usually would to try entice her to the top and she just sat there doing nothing which is very unlike her. my partner has also just said that she has noticed a couple of the scales near the top of the fish are slightly sticking out which is apprently one of the first signs of dropsy. she started looking a little bloated some time last week so we stopped feeding the fish to try help and have since had to put some food in to feed the other fish as they need to eat and she managed to nab a couple of the pellets. since then she just looks bloated. the pics i've seen tend to show their bellies as being quite round but hers is odd shaped as such. its round but not perfectly. anyone have any ideas as to how to help? or is it the final curtain call for our betta?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like dropsy. Can you post a picture of your betta?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

apologies for not getting back to you. the betta died within a few days of this post we buried it in the back garden.... we do now however have a male betta. all testing is fine (ammonia, nitrates etc) so hopefully should be ok.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry for your loss.

I just would like you to confirm what you think of as "fine" with regard to your water parameters. Thanks.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fine as in:
Ammo 0ppm
trites 0ppm
trates 10-20ppm
ph 7.4-7.6

they sound good dont they?

Tags
betta, betta fish, dropsy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com