Betta Fish, High Nitrite, How to fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MHarrison

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, please pardon any information I miss, as this is my first time posting on these forums.

I am having a dilemma, I currently have a Fluval EDGE 6 gal tank which is moving along the cycling process.

Inside the tank houses a betta fish, an african dwarf frog, a ghost shrimp, a nerite snail, and a java fern.

It appears that the first round of bacteria has developed, as my ammonia is steadily declining to 0 (currently looks less than .25ppm)

I noticed my betta fish is appearing a bit lethargic. He had previously ate a large algae wafer. I fasted him for a few days and now he is back to normal size wise.

I am noticing high levels of nitrite. I believe overfeeding and the nature of the cycle is the cause of this. My betta fish is hanging around the bottom of the tank resting periodically (let's say for about 30 seconds, then gets up swims around for about 25-30 minutes or so, then rests again)

What is the fastest approach to lowering the Nitrite? Since I've noticed the rapid rise I've done the following

Day 1 after noticing - 25% water change + nutrafin cycle + nutrafin dechlorinator

Day 2 after noticing - 50% water change + nutrafin cycle + nutrafin dechlorinator

My tests are still reading a nitrite level of 5ppm.

Day 3 is tomorrow, what will produce the fastest results for getting my nitrite levels to be lowered? Should I do another water change before I go to bed tonight? :fish1: :thanks:

Also as a side note, temperature levels are right where they need to be.

Thanks for any feedback!

I'd say yes.

Water changes should be the fastest way. Have you checked your tap water (let stand for 24 hrs to de gas, etc) to get a base line. Lots of water changes unfortunately is usually the cure.

There are also products like API nitra zorb which may help.

Any filter sponge from cycled tanks will help seed.

Bacteria in a bottle may or may not help.

I would say do a 50% water change, wait an hour, and then rinse and repeat until the nitrite is down to .25ppm. Water changes are the best way to control high levels of nutrients in the tank and you just need to catch up.

Ok so day 3..I've done 50% water change + nutrafin cycle + nutrafin dechlorinator

Should I start doing this hourly? or should I invest in some API Nitra Zorb? or should I continue daily 50% water changes?

What is your nitrite now?

I had high nitrite last for about a week and a half so I think with something like nitra zorb it depends on how easy it is to do the water changes and if you can wait it out until bacteria catch up. I didn't mind getting just to try and for backup.

20140312_213820.jpg

Looks like a 5 to me, but it does look like more of a brighter purple than a darker purple.

Water changes are pretty easy for me due to it only being a 5gal. I just haven't noticed any significant results from the 50% water changes.

I've done weekly water changes at 25% since starting the tank. Today I completed the 3rd daily 50% water change as mentioned above.

Thanks for helping me so far.

Can take a bit to shift it but I must admit I thought you would of seen a change by now. Have you checked tap water at all? This is ussually 0 so checks if is and also confirms the test is working correctly.

Delapool -

So day 3 I did 3x 50% Water Changes

Today is day 4 and I've done another 50% water change.

I noticed a .25 reading of nitrite on my tap water.

Right now I'm seeing change. Nitrite is at a reading of 2.0.

I'm thinking I'll do 2 more 50% water changes today and see how it goes.

Add salt, just plain salt with no iodine added. The salt counteracts the effects of the nitrites (let's your fish breathe) I think it is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons but you can google to make sure. This has always worked wonderfully for me in the past and never lost a fish and it does not affect the beneficial bacteria.

Another option is to get some tetra safestart or dr tims one and only. It contains live nitrifying bacteria and will bring your nitrites down without a day or two and fully cycle your tank, this I did recently with my nano tank where nitrites just wouldn't go down.

Ok..

Good news. I got Nitrite down to .50 ppm.

I'm going to wait another hour and do another water change so I can finally get it to .25 ppm.

I have read up on the salt trick. If I can't get it down to .25 I'll try that as well.

Thanks so far everyone!

Also for my daily feeding I feed

6 Betta Pellets
1/8th an Algae Wafer
2 Frog Pellets

If I tested the water the next day, would I really see a significant increase in nitrite with this amount of food?

UPDATE: Nitrite down to .25. :)

Anyone know the answer to my feeding question above?

Thanks

Make sure as nitrites are going down that nitrates are going up or at least not going down as well. If that was the case you would be un-cycling your tank :)

Regarding the food question, you do not need to feed daily, especially not when cycling. Fish can go without food for a week easily. I would feed the fish every other day. I have no knowledge on frogs so I will leave that to be answered by someone else.

In regards to feeding, the food if not eaten will produce an abundance of ammonia, which will be converted by your bacteria into nitrite. So it could be contributing. You might ask a betta person (there are plenty here) how much food you should be feeding him, my gut says that's a lot.

Ok..

Good news. I got Nitrite down to .50 ppm.

I'm going to wait another hour and do another water change so I can finally get it to .25 ppm.

I have read up on the salt trick. If I can't get it down to .25 I'll try that as well.

Thanks so far everyone!

That sounds good, the small amount in the tap water is ok - sounds like it was just stubborn to shift :). The salt requirement from memory is very small for nitrite treatment.

Back
Top Bottom