Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

unless his scales weren't like that when you got him, i think it's just a part of his coloration. if that is the case, then water changes are your best bet. if he really is losing scales... you may have a bigger problem then just ammonia.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmolly View Post
unless his scales weren't like that when you got him, i think it's just a part of his coloration. if that is the case, then water changes are your best bet. if he really is losing scales... you may have a bigger problem then just ammonia.
I am pretty sure he did NOT look like this when I got him. does that mean I need to use the betta fix?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherW

if you click on the pic it gets bigger.
he did not get caught on anything. I am not sure if he is sulking or not, but I am worried about the top of his head. I guess it looks like he is missing scales. no, he is not rubbing on anything.
Sorry on my iPhone. They don't get any bigger
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
I am pretty sure he did NOT look like this when I got him. does that mean I need to use the betta fix?
Stress can cause loss of color in fish. They can appear 'washed out'. No need for the bettafix. If he has lost some scales they will grow back with clean water.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what about the not eating part? do I not worry about this? I bought some of the frozen blood worms and everyone else seems to like them. should I keep trying to tempt him with these? It won't make them all spoiled and not want the cheaper flake foods will it?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
what about the not eating part? do I not worry about this? I bought some of the frozen blood worms and everyone else seems to like them. should I keep trying to tempt him with these? It won't make them all spoiled and not want the cheaper flake foods will it?
I would not worry (yet) bettas are emotional/fussy things, some more than others. Some will stop eating if something gets moved/changed in the tank. He isn't feeling too well from the ammonia and is scared from the move. Keep offering him foods and he will eat eventually. Make sure you remove any uneaten food because it will add to the ammonia.
Feeding him blood worms won't spoil him but could make him bloated/constipated so feed sparingly like once a week. A small high quality floating pellet is the best thing to feed him. He can eat flakes but they can give him digestion issues. His stomach is about the size if his eye so keep that in mind when feeding him.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

fish can go a while without food. try feeding one pellet once every other day. if he takes it feed him another, and do that until you can feed him 3. after that becomes a regular thing, start moving back to daily feedings. there's no reason to increase ammonia in order to get him to eat.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, well that is what I have been doing. I keep offering him one pellet and he just doesn't want to eat. I guess I will wait on the blood worms since he they all ate those on wed.
still doing water changes and I just can't get the ammonia to go down.
Ammonia:
10am - 1.0
240p - .75
440p - .75
should I try not using the filter charcoal part of the filter? should I change the filter? Not sure what I need to do to get it to go down
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Water changes and gravel vacs are all you can do. Do not change the filter at all at the moment. Don't even rinse it. You want to preserve as much bacteria as you can at the moment. I've forgotten what dechlorinator your using. I recommend Prime. It will convert the ammonia to a less toxic form for 24 hours but will still allow it to be processed by the BB. Also have you checked your tap water for ammonia?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Betta not doing well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Water changes and gravel vacs are all you can do. Do not change the filter at all at the moment. Don't even rinse it. You want to preserve as much bacteria as you can at the moment. I've forgotten what dechlorinator your using. using API brand products, so I am using the Stress Coat I recommend Prime. It will convert the ammonia to a less toxic form for 24 hours but will still allow it to be processed by the BB. Also have you checked your tap water for ammonia?yes, I checked it the other day and the ammonia was .5
he seems to be doing better - at least he is swimming around again. but still not eating anything.

Tags
betta, betta fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com