Betta floating/sinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katana

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got this betta free from petsmart because he was swimming on his side. I figured it was swim bladder.
Well a week of fasting a peas didn't help him at all, so a betta group told me to treat him with kanaplex in case it was bacterial.
Well he went through a week of that and still is swimming oddly and floating/sinking.
At no time whatsoever has he gone poo. I have no idea what is going on with this crazy fish.
Otherwise he seems happy enough.
I think the betta forum is stumped for what to do, so do you guys have any suggestions for him? It's so puzzling because he hasn't gone to the bathroom once since I've had him (two weeks).

Katanas - because swords are awesome! (Even swordtails!)

Are you sure? Maybe the poop is in the substrate. Sorry to hear about the poor guy, but I'm glad he seems like he's not in pain.

He is in a bare bottom tank, but the good news is he did pass some poo the other day! He is still floating a little, so I'm still feeding him every three days or so and treating him with metroplex. Thanks for your suggestion :)

Good for him! Has he improved any more?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He is doing about the same. Swimming much better but still listing occasionally. He hasn't sank in days, so he is able to stay out of the cup now for three or four days (I still check on him often!)
Bad news is my heater broke so I need to get him a new one. I'll probably get a five to ten Gallon tank so I can get a good heater.

Is swim bladder disorder when they sort of list to the side (float sideways)?

If so I think mind has that too unfortunately. How do you treat it?

:fish2:

I've had success in the past using thawed frozen peas.
Some put a little Epsom salt in the tanks too and said that helps. Usually fasting and a pea help me :)

Back
Top Bottom