Betta Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Help, two days ago I noticed a bulge under my bettas gills the next afternoon I offerings growing out of his gills so I put him in quarintine. Today I found himself with fungus covering his face. Anyone know what this is and how to treat it? Also he was in a tank with black neons before I put him in quarantine will the neons be okay?

Was there any flicking or flashing around the gills before hand? Just wondering if gill parasites or something else might have set it off.

Fingers crossed then :) Hopefully a recovery, fungal I've always managed to start seeing a result after a few days.

I am sorry to say that 3 black neons are dead and to are on the verge. This fungus seems very fast acting.

Erk, jumping species like that I would very much say bacterial.

Tetra fungus guard has furan 2 plus a fungal but I would swap to:

Furan 2 & kanaplax antibiotics.

Lower temp gradually to around 73 to 76F.

Salt may help - depends if you have plants.

QT fish as soon as they look ill.

Fungus won't spread most of the time and it's slow acting.

If it's fast, kills quickly, and spreads then it's likely columnaris

Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

It doesn't look like columnist at all, it first starts with a bulge under the gills and within 24 hours a cobweb like fungus or bacteria is growing out the gills. 24 hours after that the fish are dead. All 5 Neons are dead and my other Betta is starting to develop the bulge but it is hard to tell so far.

It kills the fish by blocking their gills so they can't release water and they drown.

I've got nothing then, I've never heard of any infection doing anything like that. However, I'm still fairly positive it's not a fungus.

From my experience working with fish disease I am positive it's a bacteria, though I couldn't say what kind for sure. Do you have a picture?

I vote for internal columnaris(there are at least 4 strains) and a secondary gill fluke infection.

This sounds like it's going too fast for a secondary infection to matter, but who knows? I would honestly just bet on a strain of columnaris.

Sometimes I feel like i'm always suggesting dropsy and columnaris, huh.

This sounds like it's going too fast for a secondary infection to matter, but who knows? I would honestly just bet on a strain of columnaris.

I missed that. I was wondering if there was secondary fungal. So hard to know under gill covers what's going on.

But yes, wiping out fish across the tank. Maybe is columnaris, maybe another but I'd still bank on bacterial as well.

The only way to slow it down I know of is lower temp. If there is another way I'd love to know it.

^+1^
But I saw a post yesterday of the worst gill flukes on a betta I have ever seen.
Still looking for it.
Anyone see it yesterday or own the dead betta?
It is the OP!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/new-betta-died-what-happened-here-pic-335028.html
Here's the pic!

Back
Top Bottom