Betta get better?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishweed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As recommended by our LFS, we recently got 3 females to accompany our male Betta.

Unfortunately they rather savaged him, so his tail is now shredded!

The females have gone back to the shop, but we are wondering how long (or if) his tail will ever recover?

Cheers

Hi, his tail should get better in about two weeks. Just keep his bowl/tank nice and clean and he should be better in no time.......... I had a similar experience :roll:

Thanks LatinBarbieDoll,

I think he is a bit better now, because he was chasing the large Molly out of he way at feed time :D!

Cheers

I know its late now to mention this, but as latinbarbiedoll mentioned, keep the water oober clean because the ratted tail tells the outsider that he has become a bit sickly and is prone to illness. Cotton algae etc may swing the scythe at him and to medicate the guy would be nasty to deal with, especially when it could have been prevented. Though a female betta can be put with a male betta, from what I heard and seen, after a while they tend to fight for some odd reason. 0X

Hi Electrobes,

Good thought, unfortunately the tank was covered in algae, so we gave it a bit of a cleanup..... Our misstake was to wash some (maybe 25%) of the gravel under the tap, so I think we have killed a good chunk of the bio-filter :(

We are doing quite a few partial water changes, and the fish do all lookl ok at the moment, but the nitrite is way high...

Thanks for the advice.

Fishweed

Unfortunately he died yesterday - we have planted him under a geranium so that we can remember him. he was a beautiful fish.

I'm very sorry about your loss fishweed.

What color was he?

A pair of my betta's just spawned and I have a bunch of little fry in my tank at the moment. The father is still blowing them back in the nest, he is such a good daddy! Maybe in about 2 months I can send you one if you like.

Hi LatinBarbieDoll,

He was a rather nice deep blue.

Thanks a lot for the offer of a replacement, but you are rather a long way away from us, so we will have to pass!!!!

We may well get a replacement in a couple of week, when both tanks have had time to settle down (we cleaned some of the gravel in the old tank's UGF - which was a mistake, and the new tank is still cycling).

How well do they cope with currents? The old tank's UGF produced almost no current, but the new tank has a Fluval 2 plus internal power filter, which generates quite a current!

Cheers
fishweed

Hi Fishweed,

I had a similar experience, I know it is too late now, but I had a male and a two females. One of the females turned into a MALE, 8O, took it back and was told that I shouldn't be ridculous, it turned out it was a male.

Back
Top Bottom