Betta getting dark spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metatron

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi...I have had my Dragon Scale Bettafor a few weeks now. In the past few days I have noticed him developing a dark spot. Can someone please help me out? He is in a well established 10 gallon tank with a few neon Danios...no one has bothered with each other from day 1. I do have a smudge of an algae problem with this tank, not huge bit it's definitely a pest. Water parameters are all good. He is swimming and eating just fine.
Thanks in advance!IMG_0184.jpg

I think your Betta is suffering from Black Spot Disease. It's a flat worm parasite that Burroughs into the fish. The fishes body defenses respond and the black spots are a pigment reaction. Most fish are raised in big open air lagoons which exposes them to bird waste. The black spot parasite is carried by birds, and to complete its life cycle it needs another bird contact. Good news for your Betta. I don't think meds are needed. The parasite will exit the fish and die. I don't know if the spots eventually fade.

THANK YOU! That is good news! I don't mind the spots as long as he's going to be ok....jeez I've learned sooooo many things since I've started keeping fish

He looks like a marble betta, that means he will change color. It is normal

I learned something today too. I had no knowledge of the Marble Betta. I just researched
It, and looking at your Betta photo, there is fading on the Bettas head, like marbles do. Maybe in a few months your Betta will have a very truly unique coloration.

I learned something today too. I had no knowledge of the Marble Betta. I just researched
It, and looking at your Betta photo, there is fading on the Bettas head, like marbles do. Maybe in a few months your Betta will have a very truly unique coloration.

Yep, that is one of the things to look for if you want a marble. Sometimes the marble gene pops up randomly too

I wish I had got one without the glofish light on at the very beginning but ...who knew??? He was all white with a tinge of iridescent...so pretty

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom