Betta has popeye please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I read online that you should use ampicillin to treat popeye, but I couldn't find it anymore, not online or in the stores. I also read that melafix and bettafix are not good for bettas. I wasn't sure what it was, so it's been several weeks since I first noticed the first eye, and now both eyes are bulging out severely, and Magma's brilliant red color is darker, and he's always hiding behind his filter and heater. He's in a 6.5 gallon tank, and the temp. is 78 degrees. He's a veiltail. I have put in some aq salt today, but I don't know what else to do. I'm worried Magma will lose an eye! Please help!

Hi I'm not sure about the med your wanting to use but at the moment I would keep your bettas water really clean it will help with the popeye, hopefully someone will chime in to help you.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to start changing the water every three days, and see if that helps.

Also I've noticed a slight bulge in his tummy area don't know if that's serious or not, but just thought I'd mention it.

The photos aren't very good, because as soon as I started taking photos, Magma started zooming around his tank to avoid me. His left eye is the worst, but u can't tell in the pics. Sorry:(

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 51
Here's a better pic of his tummy.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 37
Dose your tank with Seachem Kanaplex. Remove any carbon in your filtration system before adding it.

Back
Top Bottom