Betta!! Help me :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my favorite bettas is starting to show symptoms of how my other bettas died :(
I don't know what's wrong!
His diet consists of... In the morning flake, afternoon dried shrimp and every two days black worms at night...
He IS kept in a separator but I havnt failed to do my water changes AT ALL...
The readings are all at 0

.... :( I think Iv got it too late... He's already laying on his side on the bottom of the tank but still alive...
He's pale and gasping for air and he seems stiff.

Iv put him in a 5 gallon alone with two heaters so hes at 80... I did a water change with dechloronator and added some salt and melafix...
His body seems stiff and he tends to sink to the bottom easily so I put heaps of decorations for him to rest on...
Please help. He's a really beautiful Betta :( :(

Additional Info. Needed

So sorry about your Betta, hopefully he's still hanging in there. I'm not an expert but from what your describing the salt & melafix are not going to help, also raising his temp too quickly can cause harm, it should be done slowly over a 12-24hr period (if I'm not mistaken). When you do water changes on his normal tank, how big is the water change (%) & how often? How old is the tank that he is normally in? The 5g he is currently in, is it cycled? Are his gills red? Does he any other signs or symptoms? What exactly are you water test reults, Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes? What are you using to test your water, strips or liquid?

shellieca said:
So sorry about your Betta, hopefully he's still hanging in there. I'm not an expert but from what your describing the salt & melafix are not going to help, also raising his temp too quickly can cause harm, it should be done slowly over a 12-24hr period (if I'm not mistaken). When you do water changes on his normal tank, how big is the water change (%) & how often? How old is the tank that he is normally in? The 5g he is currently in, is it cycled? Are his gills red? Does he any other signs or symptoms? What exactly are you water test reults, Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes? What are you using to test your water, strips or liquid?

I didn't think they would but I just wanted to try everything :(
I think I know what the cause is... He has a sort of whitish, circular patch going from right behind his eye and about 3mm behind his gill... Could it be velvet? The white patch looks like it's peeling off on the outsides of it and it's all shriveled up... He's still alive this morning but another one of my bettas died! He didn't even have symptoms.
I normally do a 90% to keep some of his old water and I replace the water with the same temp (I have the seporators sitting inside another tank so they stay warm).
The tank isn't cycled but I'll be doing two water changes a day.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
And that's in both of the tanks and I use API test kits.

Another one of my bettas is showing symptoms but this one has white spots on him. It looks like ich but the spots are much larger. Probably 2mm
The first Betta only has that one patch...

Iv had him for about 5 years now and if he dies my interest in bettas will disappear all together. He is a hardy fish and has lived through alot. Even when I first got him he lived in a FREEZING cold vase which was outside and sometimes even had frost on top. He's had fin rot, intestinal parasites and other stuff and lived through them all.
Iv never encountered ich or velvet before though..,

Oh no! Water changes, water changes, water changes! From what I've been told water changes are the best thing for ich. Plus I think raising the temp slowly, a degree or two a day until its about 86-88. Hopefully someone else will chime in & verify this or correct it. He's had a long life so if you're not able to save him don't let that turn you off of fish. Unfortunately this can happen. What size tank is he in? When my one female got sick I did daily water changes & she's now all healed up & a happy little camper.

Oh my female Betta had something eating her flesh, started out as a small spot & got larger & deeper in 24hrs. I had her in a 1g, moved her to a 10g & did water changes daily without adding any meds. She was better almost instantly.

I may have to buy another tank or if I change some stuff around I may be able to put him in my 15 gallon.
I'll look deeper into it because I only noticed the spots this morning.
I'll also try to get a picture when I get back from school.
I don't know how old he is seeing as he was a gift and already an adult :/

Ok so my apistogramma had the same thing so yesterday I put the apistogramma into a 15 then my Betta that actually had spots on his skin into a 15 (didn't fill it all the way so he could breath) and by the time I finished doing that the first one died... This morning I found the apisto dead and now I only have the one with spots. I'm going to my fish store today and pray to god they have the treatment there....

Thankyou Shellieca :)
The only person who actually helped me...
I kept the water clean with all of my fish and for my favorite one I bought him medicine but he still didnt make it. 4 of my fish have died this week and now another one is sick.
Don't think I even want fish anymore. Seeing them suffer and no matter what you do they still die.

pattyfurg said:
Thankyou Shellieca :)
The only person who actually helped me...
I kept the water clean with all of my fish and for my favorite one I bought him medicine but he still didnt make it. 4 of my fish have died this week and now another one is sick.
Don't think I even want fish anymore. Seeing them suffer and no matter what you do they still die.

I'm so sorry. I wish I could've helped more. I would feel the same as you if I lost that many fish in a week. Hang in there, I was lucky with Violet that all I had to do was get her into a bigger tank & keep doing water changes. I never added any meds & she healed up. Unfortunately there are times when things like what happened to you this week happen even to the most experienced fish keeper. I hope you don't give up completely maybe just scale back a little. I'd like to get more fish but I don't want to over extend myself. Right now everyone seems happy & healthy & I'd like to keep it that way. I hope the one or ones you still have make it. Does it still seem like ich or something else? If it is ich from what everyone says just keep doing water changes, vacuuming the substrate & keep the temp up maybe add some aquarium salt, dissolving it in some tank water before adding it the tank. Keep me posted.

They only showed symptoms the day before and I did two water changes the day and then one the next day and by the time I went to do the next they would be dead... I always have the temp pretty high in the tank at all times (even when they're not sick)

Back
Top Bottom