Betta ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had him a day so not sure if this is normal ( his gills)? IMG_1880.jpgIMG_1881.jpg one side looks pale but not sure if this is normal colour?

What would I use to medicate that? He seems like he’s acting normal, actively swimming, eating and I’ve seen him go for the tetras if they are in his way.

I’m going to the shop after work today, what medication do I need to get?

I think praziquantel. If it is in fact a gill fluke. If it's bacterial or a fungus I'd go with erythromycin or triple sulfa by API.

Well how can I tell what it is? I looked at him today and it doesn’t look as bad as the pictures?

Ok thank you, to be honest, the pictures make the Gill look whiter than what they do to the eye

Today I have tried to take a picture of him from the top, to me the white bit on one side of his gills looks like if you peel some skin on your finger and that bit of skin is paler than what your skin is ( if you get my meaning) like the Gill is just that thin at that point that there is less colour? What do people think? IMG_1929.jpg

Hard to tell at this point, from the pics. Obviously if it gets worse then you know it's something more than a deformed gill or an injury. Make sure you are keeping the water pristine if it is an injury.

I am going to test in the morning, but have done 2 25 percent water changes since Friday, today he didn’t look any worse, was very active, ate as well as chased some of my tetras if they happened to cross his path

That is a very unhappy looking fish. He's quite thin and looks listless. Is he eating normally? New fish can take a while to acclimate, especially if they come from bad stock. I'd just keep an eye on the gill, for now.

Unhappy? In what way? He has been very active since I got him. He constantly explores the tank, chases the tetras if they happen to be in his way and followed me when I pass the tank. He has also fed every day since I got him. I don’t want to feed too much as that can cause problems, he eats probably 3-5 mini pellets a day

What kind of pellets do you use?

I personally like the Omega one betta pellets.

Also what size tank is he in and is the tank heated?

Bettas do best in warmer water around 80°F.

Ah I see where you said he's eating and chasing fish now. New bettas just tend to look rough! It's probably mostly the picture.

It's great that he seems active and engaged!

What kind of pellets do you use?

I personally like the Omega one betta pellets.

Also what size tank is he in and is the tank heated?

Bettas do best in warmer water around 80°F.

I feed him the hakari micro pellets, he’s in a 64l tank that is 25 degrees Celsius

Good food, good size tank. I'd probably bump up the temp to 26 degrees Celsius as 25 is the very low end for a comfortable environment. Sounds like he's good to go as far as that goes.

Good food, good size tank. I'd probably bump up the temp to 26 degrees Celsius as 25 is the very low end for a comfortable environment. Sounds like he's good to go as far as that goes.

What about my neon and cardinal tetras? Would they be ok at that temperature?

What about my neon and cardinal tetras? Would they be ok at that temperature?
Cardinal tetras should be fine the neons Cardinal Tetris should be fine the neons would be questionable. If you could exchange them for more Cardinals that would be better.
That is a good brand of food. I would maybe bump the food up just a little bit until you can get a little bit of weight on it. But it sounds like you were doing everything right. With clean water in time things will probably sort themselves out :)

Back
Top Bottom