Betta in shock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannon_S

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a 10 gallon tank with 1 Betta. We have had the tank about 6 months. I made the mistake of completely cleaning the tank and changing all the water at once. I'm afraid that I shocked our poor "Fishy" (My 2 year old named him). I feel horrible. He is just laying at the bottom of the tank on his side. His gills, mouth and fins are still moving, but he appears to be struggling. He has been this way since yesterday. I have been trying to find information on if he will recover, how long it would take him to recover? If he can't/won't recover is it best to just let him pass on or euthanize him? I have been reading different ways but they all seem a little cruel. Thanks for the help.

We have a 10 gallon tank with 1 Betta. We have had the tank about 6 months. I made the mistake of completely cleaning the tank and changing all the water at once. I'm afraid that I shocked our poor "Fishy" (My 2 year old named him). I feel horrible. He is just laying at the bottom of the tank on his side. His gills, mouth and fins are still moving, but he appears to be struggling. He has been this way since yesterday. I have been trying to find information on if he will recover, how long it would take him to recover? If he can't/won't recover is it best to just let him pass on or euthanize him? I have been reading different ways but they all seem a little cruel. Thanks for the help.

Did you use temp matched, treated water? I have done a 100% water change on a betta before and he was fine. Just wondering if it was something in the new water or a major temp difference that is causing the problem.

Water temp was the same, and he has a heater. I used tap water to fill the tank, as I did when I first set it up. Didn't bother him when we first got him.

did you treat the water? You may need to do a pwc to get rid of ammonia etc that could have built up when you cleaned everything and got rid of the BB

Unless your tap water is from a well, most municipal sources of tap water have some levels of chlorine or other additives. Always use water conditioner to detoxify these types of additives, which may fluctuate over time, explaining why your tap water was perhaps less toxic in the past.

I am also wondering if his tank is in a mini cycle from such a thorough cleaning, if you can check ammonia and nitrite levels we can confirm this being an effect of sudden ammonia exposure

Water temp was the same, and he has a heater. I used tap water to fill the tank, as I did when I first set it up. Didn't bother him when we first got him.

When you first set it up did the water sit in the tank for a while before you put him in? The chlorine in tap water will dissipate when left sitting for a while. If you put him into straight tap water without removing the chlorine by adding a "treatment" he will be reacting to the chlorine. Using a treatment like Prime (the best) removes the chlorine and chloramine that is harmful to fish.

What was the reason for thoroughly cleaning the tank? With a 10g tank you only need to do a 50% water change each week. As for his current condition, as others have asked did you use water conditioner & what kind? Did you re-arrange his plants & decor? I switched my males around in tanks a couple weeks ago, one of them went to the bottom & wouldn't move for a while but then he started exploring & before long you'd never know he was in a new tank. You might try a water change, 30-50% with temp matched, conditioned water & see if he perks up.

Prime is a good water conditioner. And depending on your location "aging " the water for 24 hours only removes some Chlorine, not Chloramines which my county uses. So make sure your Conditioner removes both.

Yes, I'd also do a 50% water change with treated water.

You can use up to 5x the normal dosage of Prime in an emergency. I use it because it's 2 Drops per Gallon, much more affordable than most.

Never break down your tank unless there is a REALLY good reason. Only clean part of gravel each PWC. Just rinse your filter pad in tank water or conditioned ( deChlorinated) water and do NOT replace it unless its falling apart.

Test the water by buying a test kit or asking a store to test a sample of your tank water.

Consider giving him some live plants. Java Ferns are super easy.

Back
Top Bottom