Betta in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordheavyc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey friends I need some advice on what to do for my betta. I recently went on vacation for a week. When I returned he's been literally just laying on the log, or substrate. Not swimming. Hardly even moves. When I do get him to come up is like he sinks like a rock right back to the bottom. He was fine before I left. I had a neighbor keep the sane feeding schedule with the fish I've been doing since they were taking care of my cat too. The day before I left I did a 50 percent change. Did everything like I usually do. Treated with prime and used the and ferts I normally do. I tested the water and the number are per usual for this tank. Phos is slightly higher though. The neons and loaches all seem fine. I have also had an increase of MTS numbers though. I'll put some pics before. I don't have a quarantine tank or all the equipment needed to put the betta separate from the main tank. Is there anything I can do? Any idea what's wrong? Thanks for the help.

Forget the pics. It won't let me

Latest test.
82 degrees
7.0 Ph
0.0 Ammonia
0.0 nitrite
.10 mg/l nitrate
,50 mg/l phos

The phos is running ,25 higher than usual.

Any improvement?
No. My LFS said that he might be constipated and suggested squishing a pea into the tank as it can act as a laxative. However that was two days ago and still haven't seen improvement.

It all looks fine on water - no chance he was over-fed while you were away? Or any temperature change? In a hospital tank you could also try lifting the temperature several degrees or light dosing Epsom salts or normal salt as things to try to nudge an improvement but quite difficult I find when it’s something internal.

Over feeding is possible and likely because I've seen a rather large spike in MTS numbers. If I had quarantine tank I would certainly use it. However I don't have that equipment currently. Temp has held steady at 82. Would increasing the temp and adding salts to my current tank hurt my tetra or loaches?

Yes, I’d agree - seems possible.

I’ve dosed both types of salt and had temperature well over 86 with no issues (not all at once of cause) but without a hospital tank will just have to try and see I think. Then water change / lower temp if other fish having issues. Easiest one would be just to try lifting temp several degrees first.

Well some unfortunate news. My boy died. Not sure there what the cause was but I hope it doesn't affect the rest of the tank. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom