Betta issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pton46

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,

I am newer to the site but not to Fishkeeping.....

I never had a Betta Before but I am in the Process of getting another 30 gal for quarantine (so I won't use this 3 gal for that, it never was FYI) so I decided to take the plunge. I Have a 3 Gal overhead lighting small Penguin Filter with biowheel. I Placed him in cycled tank for 6 months Tested the water ph 7.2 ammonia 0.0 Nitrite 0.0 Nitrates 10ppm

He was active last night now he is atthe bottom of the tank same spot all day...did not feed this morning and he has been in there since Last night.

My Oscars and Other Cichlids always bounce right back.

Got it from Pet Smart yeah impluse buy But I have to think my tank is better than that cup he was in.

Any ideas?

Confused. This is a new fish? And he is in with an Oscar and Cichlids?

New, but not with the others I don't think. It's possible he's just recovering from being at the pet store in not so good conditions. I think it took mine a day or two to really perk up, and more than that to really come alive.

Did you test the water he came in from the pet store to see how different your water is? If his original water is drastically different from the new water he would get shocked when you put him in the new tank. A sharp change even in ammonia levels can be fatal or shock bettas pretty bad. Best thing to do is let him be and maybe he'll pull out of it.

Oh no , Not with Oscars and Cichlids....lol, He is in a 3 Gal I was thinking of using as a quarantine for them (The Oscars). I just picked up a 30 gallon for that purpose. Soory for the confusion. Ok I will give it some time.

Did you test the water he came in from the pet store to see how different your water is? If his original water is drastically different from the new water he would get shocked when you put him in the new tank. A sharp change even in ammonia levels can be fatal or shock bettas pretty bad. Best thing to do is let him be and maybe he'll pull out of it.

Oh man I did not think about that.....It was that Blue water yuk....I tested it for Temp and that was it....

At least it's a pet store betta. When I was a beginner I had a Betta shipped across the country and did the same thing. He didn't die but was never an active Betta. He just laid on the bottom of the tank

Did you acclimate him properly or just plop him in?

I agree with giving him some time. He's probably just a little freaked out. Keep the lights off/low for a day or so and see how he does. And try to feed him something.

Update.....

Kept the lights out all day blinds down and he moved around the bottom.

I put in a pellet or two in to see if was interested in Eating....Not yet but at least he is moving.....Thank you for all your advice

Did you acclimate him properly or just plop him in?

I agree with giving him some time. He's probably just a little freaked out. Keep the lights off/low for a day or so and see how he does. And try to feed him something.

I had the Cup (he was in) in the tank water to get the Temps the same ,His Temp is 76F ,But I did not test his water only my Tanks water.....maybe the lack of ammonia in my tank shocked him? I dumped that Blue water after I put him in. No way to know.

Pton46 said:
I had the Cup (he was in) in the tank water to get the Temps the same ,His Temp is 76F ,But I did not test his water only my Tanks water.....maybe the lack of ammonia in my tank shocked him? I dumped that Blue water after I put him in. No way to know.

He would be quite shocked then with the massive change in water. Slow acclimation is best. Look up "drip acclimation". At the very least, when acclimating fish you should float the bag (cup in this instance) to match temps then add a small amount of tank water (half a cup or so) then wait ten or fifteen minutes and repeat about four or five times until you have at least doubled the volume of water in the container. Then you can safely release into the tank. Keep an eye on him but I don't think there is much you can do if he starts to decline.

It may take him a few days to start eating, too--that's normal. I had to talk a friend through her worry about her new betta because he refused to eat for about a week. He got better. :)

Is my betta a real halfmoon?

Hi guys,

I'm a newby to this site and also with bettas.I'm posting a picture of a betta that I just bought. It was sold as a "halfmoon" but I think he just look like a "delta" ???

Those anyone can tell the difference just by looking at the picture of Claudio? (Yep, that is his name!)

Thank you!

Pd. I just posted my question in this thread since I didn't know how too crate a new one. Sorry!

Attachments

• Claudio's First Day at home 02.04.12.jpg
    Claudio's First Day at home 02.04.12.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 56
I'd say delta, or not "show quality" halfmoon, but not an expert at betta tail variations by any means. To start a new thread, there's a new thread icon on the right of the screen above the threads on the page. :)

My Betta was doing better from the last time, but it looks like he is taking a turn for the worst as of yesterday. He Stopped moving , I tried feeding him he did not eat anything...The Temp is 76 I ordered a New Heater but it might be too late. It looks like he has Fin Rot....and he has just been laying at the bottom of the Tank i added Aquarium Salt but any additional advice?

The Fin rot came on really quick....less than a day....

Sorry to hear it. He was probably already in a weakened state from being in the cup. You never know how long he was in there. :(

Back
Top Bottom