Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Betta issue?

Hi All,

I am newer to the site but not to Fishkeeping.....

I never had a Betta Before but I am in the Process of getting another 30 gal for quarantine (so I won't use this 3 gal for that, it never was FYI) so I decided to take the plunge. I Have a 3 Gal overhead lighting small Penguin Filter with biowheel. I Placed him in cycled tank for 6 months Tested the water ph 7.2 ammonia 0.0 Nitrite 0.0 Nitrates 10ppm

He was active last night now he is atthe bottom of the tank same spot all day...did not feed this morning and he has been in there since Last night.

My Oscars and Other Cichlids always bounce right back.

Got it from Pet Smart yeah impluse buy But I have to think my tank is better than that cup he was in.

Any ideas?

60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Confused. This is a new fish? And he is in with an Oscar and Cichlids?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New, but not with the others I don't think. It's possible he's just recovering from being at the pet store in not so good conditions. I think it took mine a day or two to really perk up, and more than that to really come alive.
5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Did you test the water he came in from the pet store to see how different your water is? If his original water is drastically different from the new water he would get shocked when you put him in the new tank. A sharp change even in ammonia levels can be fatal or shock bettas pretty bad. Best thing to do is let him be and maybe he'll pull out of it.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh no , Not with Oscars and Cichlids....lol, He is in a 3 Gal I was thinking of using as a quarantine for them (The Oscars). I just picked up a 30 gallon for that purpose. Soory for the confusion. Ok I will give it some time.
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Old 02-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepo View Post
Did you test the water he came in from the pet store to see how different your water is? If his original water is drastically different from the new water he would get shocked when you put him in the new tank. A sharp change even in ammonia levels can be fatal or shock bettas pretty bad. Best thing to do is let him be and maybe he'll pull out of it.

Oh man I did not think about that.....It was that Blue water yuk....I tested it for Temp and that was it....
Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

At least it's a pet store betta. When I was a beginner I had a Betta shipped across the country and did the same thing. He didn't die but was never an active Betta. He just laid on the bottom of the tank
Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you acclimate him properly or just plop him in?

I agree with giving him some time. He's probably just a little freaked out. Keep the lights off/low for a day or so and see how he does. And try to feed him something.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update.....

Kept the lights out all day blinds down and he moved around the bottom.

I put in a pellet or two in to see if was interested in Eating....Not yet but at least he is moving.....Thank you for all your advice
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
Did you acclimate him properly or just plop him in?

I agree with giving him some time. He's probably just a little freaked out. Keep the lights off/low for a day or so and see how he does. And try to feed him something.

I had the Cup (he was in) in the tank water to get the Temps the same ,His Temp is 76F ,But I did not test his water only my Tanks water.....maybe the lack of ammonia in my tank shocked him? I dumped that Blue water after I put him in. No way to know.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com