Betta Issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I got a betta about a week ago and over the last two or three days he has almost lost all of his color and his fins look as if someone rolled them between their fingers (I dont really know how else to explain it lol) and he is fighting to swim. Im not sure what is going on. Could it be swim bladder? I know the suggestion for that is to feed peas. But of course my fish refuse to even look at peas let alone even eat one. I moved him to a gallon jar for the time because he was having such issues in my 40 gallon and there is so much water movement he was just struggling with being pushed around so much. Is there anything else I can do for him?? Thank you!

Just keep the water really clean and lower the water to about 4 inches so if it is swim bladder he can go to the top for air. Its really important to keep water clean.

OK need a bit more info, does he seem to "scratch" on objects? Do his fins seem to be deteriorating? Is he bloated? What are the levels in the tank?
If your going to separate him, please keep a filter with him, bettas need a proper filter just as any other fish does and IMO shouldn't be kept in a jar without one

No scratching or anything of the sort. Not bloated or anything. Just lost all of his color really fast. Unfortunately he just died on me :/ I know the jar is a terrible place but he just couldnt stay in the 40 gallon he was getting bashed on everything because of all the water movement so I had no choice but to put him in the gallon jar. He had a heater and an air stone and I was keeping his water clean so Im not sure what happened. All my other fish are fine even my otos. So I dont know what happened :/

Yeah it has been running for over a year. I swear I have the worst luck with bettas!!

I'm curious as what other fish was in the 40 gallon with him. I've known a betta or two to lose their color before dying of old age (3+ years).

David

My last betta went through the worst when I first started fish keeping and had no idea what I was doing but he lived for a year before he got bloated and passed away. Didnt know anything about cycling or water changes I just kinda put all the fish in a tank and didnt know otherwise. But after a LOT of research I learned a lot more. But I am still puzzled about what happened to him :/ Maybe I will try another betta later down the road

Back
Top Bottom