Betta looks pale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Territoons

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a beautiful young male half moon betta I brought him home from the LFS and acclimated him from his pitiful little jar to my 10G QT tank. He seemed to adjust to that well...swimming around, interacting with the other fish..not aggressive, but not shy, either. He is so CUTE the way he works himself into the tiniest places, it's like he is curious and wants to explore EVERYTHING! So I named him "Curious"..

anyhow, the big day came when he got to move from the 10G QT tank to his final home..a 55G community tank. I assimilated the tanks slowly...all the water parameters were good, and he seems to have handled the transition well....EXCEPT he is PALE in color! he was pale after the car ride from the pet shop, but he regained his color in just a few hours after being moved into the 10G. But he's bee in the 55G for 3 days now, and he still seems a little nervous and pale...but HEALTHY enough. He is swimming and eating and interacting with the fish, and investigating all of the little tiny nooks and crevices in the tank...

truly, he seems healthy and happy and active enough and he is eating well, but he's just PALE! It is sad to see such a beautiful fish go PALE!

The water parameters are fine..

Am - 0
No2 - 0
No3 less than 20
ph 8.2

temperature is 80
his tank mates (some tetras, guppies, mollies, one small angel and some cory catfish) are not harassing him..in fact it really seems like he is trying to "play" with them..it is seriously cute how he interacts with the other fish, like a puppy wanting to play.

I feed a variety of flake foods, pellets and wafers, and he nibbles and plays with just about everything. I have live plants that he likes to play in, and I presume nibble on. Today I took a boiled pea and put it in the bottom of the tank near where he was, and he LOVED it!

But why is he PALE? Dos he have agoraphobia? is 55 too big? Too much open space?

I will show you some comparative photos....

ahh...man! You know what? I think that my fish is NOT pale. I think it is the LIGHTING in the 55G tank. As soon as my flash hit the fish, he lit up beautifully...just like he was in the 10G...

Well, I wrote all this for nothing....but I guess I'll share it anyway, maybe someone else can learn from my foolishness!

It's good news, there is nothing wrong with my fish named "Curious", but I feel foolish. I have learned a lesson, though...LIGHTING DOES MATTER!

three photos...a photo of him squirreling around behind the filter in the 10G, a photo of him in the 55G, and a photoshopped photo of him that I did just for fun.

Isn't he pretty?

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5275.jpg
    IMG_5275.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 79
Back