Betta looks terrible - Anyone help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed tonight my betta is looking terrible, he hasn't been himself recently, i lost a handful of fish to Ich last weekend and i don't know what up with him, his fins are terrible, all torn looking. The tank is more or less 30'c to help combat the Ich and the parameters are NH3 - 0, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 30ppm ( these all look acceptable to me?

Here are some photos of him, i have been treating the tank daily with Melafix to help with the Ich, i don't know if this could be a factor or not.

:thanks: (y)

The Melafix may very well be the problem. It contains tea tree oil, which coats the surface of the water and makes it impossible for bettas, which have labyrinth organs, to breathe from the surface. I would recommend an immediate 50% water change with water conditioner, temperature matched to the tank, and another 50% water change in two more hours. You need to get him in clean water ASAP.

How big is the tank? What are his other tankmates? What are you testing the water with? I strongly suspect the Melafix, but the more info you can give us, the better we can help you.

Back
Top Bottom