Betta losing scales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amaracalle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My black crown tail betta fish has started losing scales. At first he only lost a few on his head but is has gotten worse. At first I thought he was changing colors to white but I noticed scales at the bottom of the Cup he was in when I was changing his tank he had already been losing scales before changing his tank but at the time I thought it was just a color change. Is this a sickness? I’ve only been able to find a cause being dropsy but he is fine besides the scale lose he eats well is energetic and over all his regular self but I’m concern this could be a serious medical issue that has been going on for three months. Is it normal for them to lose scales? None of my other bettas has had this happen before.

I don't think it is a normal thing for a fish to be losing scales. What size is your tank? Is it heated with a filter? What are your water parameters? Does he have plenty of hiding spots? Are there any sharp decorations in the tank?

It could be an injury, stress or a sickness so the more information we have the easier it will be for someone to help.

He was in a one and a half gallon as he was rather small. I had decided to upgrade all my bettas to a 5 gallon minimum ( strong believer of the 2.5 gallon rule for bettas) so he was put in a cup for two days while I was setting up their tanks I noticed it wasn’t a Color Change but scales coming off he is now in a small hospital tank sinse I can’t put him in a large divided tank without risking my others to what ever he may have. This was two weeks ago. I had his water tested right before all this and it was fine and my bettas have only silk soft plants and smooth caves. His tank was kept with a heater and no filter but I did 20% water changes for him weekly. His scale loss has started from his head and gone to his back. He was a pitch black. Also my cups I use are tall 10 cup containers with lids as not to make them feel cramped but this started about two to three months ago.

Bettas still need filters. Are you putting 2 bettas in a 5 gallon tank with a divider? Can they still see each other or is is more opaque? Are the tanks cycled? Water parameters being "fine" isn't exactly an answer, I was looking for numbers.
It might be stress.

No my tanks with dividers are typically 20 longs or minimum ten with dividers that have plants separating their view. What I mean is they are cycled properly and my nitrate cycle is fine and working, I uses a smart cycle to add helpful bacteria when I start a new tank. He did not have a filter as small tanks like the one he was in has sucked in one of my bettas ( thank god my baby June survived) and they seem to have a hard time swimming despite the five filter systems I have tried so I use a bubbler and water changes for anytime I have a small tank under two gallons which is very rare. He ( Veve is the name of my betta That is losing scales) was alone in his tank with no view of other fish. I have 8 or more tanks that I test every Wednesday and unless something is off I don’t write it down so I would have to test it again to give you those numbers.

Got it, I just didn't quite understand or misread what you wrote. It could just be from stress. I did some research and the only sickness I found that had scales falling off was tuberculosis. Keep an eye out for other symptoms like a bent spine and lethargy.
With dropsy the scales pinecone but stay on.
Just keep the water clean and see if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom