Betta, Maybe Ich? or Just Water Mold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cecilree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Update: He is flashing and rubbing against things. I'm going to treat him for ich.

I have a 1.5g tank for my betta with heater and filter. I got my betta 2.5 weeks ago from Petco and he was healthy as a horse. I brought him home after Spring Break and put him in his tank. Newly established since I had this tank as a goldfish vacation home for Spring Break.

I dumped some aquarium sand bought at a Petstore in with betta.

My Betta was loving his home and made 2 bubble nests in 3 days.

This morning I woke up and found water mold? It was little clumps of gooshy clear smoosh all over sitting on the sand. It wasn't attached anywhere just sitting on the bottom. This can be caused by over feeding? (I had used shrimp pellets one or two a day and maybe the betta didnt eat all of it, did it dissove and mold everywhere?)

Anyways, ich????? He has these little white spots, individual and only on the edges of his fins. I dont see them just brush off and theres only a few. There are small particles (of water mold?) floating around even after a clean out of his tank with Hydrogen Peroxide, rinsing, and vinegear.

Please someone tell me it's not ich! Or if it is, what to do! And if its ich, should I take my plant clippings out? Can I put them (the plants) in a different tank after some cleansing? (How?).

Oh and his behavior is seemingly normal? I've not had experience with bettas so a discription of SICK behavior would be great. He isn't super active, but is usually swimming from place to place. Sometimes he lays on the bottom upright, not too much. :ermm:

Thank you for reading and help! :eek:

(Heres a picture of my baby, one picture where he looks gray is because he is mad I took him out of his tank.)

Attachments

• BETTA.jpg
    BETTA.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 127
What is your normal water change schedule? Are you running a filter on this tank? It does look like Ich & its typically easy to treat. Hopefully you have an adjustable heater. Slowly raise the temp to 86F, you can add Aq salt if you want 1/2 tsp per gallon, pre dissolved in a glass then pour into the tank. On a tank that small you'll need to do at least 2 water changes each week but while treating for Ich you'll want to do them every other day, 100% water change IMO. Leave the temp up for at least a week after you see the last spot.

Oops sorry, I see you have a filter. Personally in a tank that size I'd do away with the filter. If you do proper water changes he'll be OK, but I do suggest getting a 5g tank if possible.

Water mold?

Help me identify..this showed up in a matter of hours? I think my plants are dead...can they create this, is it water mold? Help.

Attachments

• IMG_3390[1].jpg
    IMG_3390[1].jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3393[1].jpg
    IMG_3393[1].jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom