Betta missing scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
My son sent me a pic of his betta this morning. He has a spot in top of his head. The pic is poor so I also have a vid. To me it looks like he got himself into a tight spot and lost some scales getting out. But I am looking for more opinions and input. Here is the pic. IMG_1481301499.775031.jpg

And the vid.
https://youtu.be/-7QNVrvk1Do

My son says he's eating. I told him to do a 60% PWC. And keep the water clean. Perhaps a PWC every few days. Then to go to lfs and speak with someone more knowledgeable than I regarding fish disease and injury. They sold him primafix.

Hopefully good news. I've had pimafix work but would try something else if not making a difference to the white spot after say 3 days.

Be very careful not to overdose.

am i the only one noticing that he's laying at the bottom of the tank with labored breathing? these are classic symptoms of a parasite. is he eating?

for future reference, those plastix plants can make it easy for a betta to rip fins or possibly in this case brush off some scales. the only fake plants i would have in a tank are silk plants.

According to my son he is eating. But the area with the missing scales has a white fuzzy look now. He is going to go to a different lfs today for another opinion on treatment. That fish used to be in a 1 1/2 gallon bowl for 2 years with that funky plastic plants and ornaments. He now has 8 gallons with live and silk in addition. They wanted to put something in the tank the fish was familiar with. But I will gently recommend they remove it again.

According to my son he is eating. But the area with the missing scales has a white fuzzy look now. He is going to go to a different lfs today for another opinion on treatment. That fish used to be in a 1 1/2 gallon bowl for 2 years with that funky plastic plants and ornaments. He now has 8 gallons with live and silk in addition. They wanted to put something in the tank the fish was familiar with. But I will gently recommend they remove it again.

based on his symptoms i would definitely say he has either a fungal infection or parasites. i would quarantine him with fresh water immediately. i've gotten nothing but bad advice that's almost killed my better from the fish stores in my experience.

based on his symptoms i would definitely say he has either a fungal infection or parasites. i would quarantine him with fresh water immediately. i've gotten nothing but bad advice that's almost killed my better from the fish stores in my experience.

He is the only fish in the tank. So the whole tank is being treated.

He is the only fish in the tank. So the whole tank is being treated.

i didn't mean quarantine him from other fish. whatever he has is inhabiting that tank. he needs to be in completely clean water. if he has fungus or parasites they're living in the aquarium with him

He is doing large water changes? He doesn't have another tank just a bowl. He went to another lfs that isn't a big box store and they agreed with the treatment and the addition of aquarium salt.

He is doing large water changes? He doesn't have another tank just a bowl. He went to another lfs that isn't a big box store and they agreed with the treatment and the addition of aquarium salt.

adding a little aquarium salt to the tank will not kill parasites or fungus!

Yep he did a huge water change before he started the treatment. And I nagged at him not to overfeed to keep the water as clean as possible until he is supposed to change the water the 7th day.

Yep he did a huge water change before he started the treatment. And I nagged at him not to overfeed to keep the water as clean as possible until he is supposed to change the water the 7th day.

50% daily would good. especially if the tank isn't cycled, he can't redose the medication without changing out some of the water

Tank is cycled. API instructions say to change water after 7 days?

follow the label.
i always do daily pwc while medicating, making sure the new water has the same ratio of medication as the tank water. but i also treat in a quarantine tank that is not cycled.

the reason i suggest this is because you can monitor the fish much more closely. you can see when whether or not they're defacating (in this case that would be important to know) and like i said before and rules out certain factors when diagnosing. this is all just preference for me, i'm sure when used correctly that medication or a parasite medication will help. just make sure your son remembers to remove the carbon from the filter cartridge. good luck!

My son says America the Betta appears to have recovered. IMG_1482101013.435054.jpg

They did their pwc today and he is swimming around and eating well.

Back
Top Bottom