Betta Mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heather0781

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a sick betta but I have no clue what is wrong with her unless it's internal.

I've had her for almost a year now and a couple months ago she started acting funny. She sits at the bottom of her tank and refuses to eat. Her fins are fine, other than being a little dull her scales look fine. There's no salty specks or anything on her body. Her gills look fine and her eyes are normal.

I didn't have a problem with keeping her bowl warm over the summer since my room is in the south end of the house and usually hot, but I got a heater for the winter and it stays between 75 and 80 degrees F.

I used to feed her a couple of bloodworm pellets a day. When she started acting funny I thought she was constipated (since I found out my mom was feeding her while I was at work :banghead: )

I change her water regularly and since she just stays at the bottom of the tank I put a live plant in there hoping she would eat something. She has not eaten in almost 2 months and I'm very worried.

When I change her water I had a couple of drops of fish first aid in her tank (1 tsp for a 5 gal tank and hers is 2.5)

After she started showing symptoms of illness I also got her some different food since I read that pellets can cause digestive issues. I got some freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms for variety. Nothing. She won't attempt a nibble on anything.

Thank you.

Aquarium fish need stability. A five degree temp swing is pretty large for one day. Use your heater to help keep the temp around 78-80F.

Is the tank filtered?

How often do you change water? How much?

Well the jump isn't in one day and the heater is automatic... it doesn't have a setting.

I've been doing partial water changes (about half) about twice a week and every so often I do a full tank change since she has been sick.

My tank didn't come with a filter... It's supposed to be a Betta tank with a divider for 2 fish but it's plastic and when I added water the tank spread apart and they could go to either side. I had 2 fish at the time so I got seperate tanks. He died suddenly though. He was perfectly fine.. Fins and scales great, eating like a pig and swimming around like normal and the next day.. no Mr. fishie...

But that was almost a year ago and she was doing great till about 2 months ago n she stopped eating.

I also don't have a regular pet store around for a couple of hours either. I have to drive a half hour just to get to a wal-mart...

Back
Top Bottom