Betta needs eye-patch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't believe this happened and I'm not really sure how it did happen- but my betta Dragon got sucked up into the syphon while doing a water change today. I put the syphon in the bucket of tank water and was wiping off the glass and ... Where is Dragon??? I then see him swimming in the bucket! I don't think he went through the tube- just into the funnel and then got plopped back into the water when I put it in the bucket.

And he was swimming around like nothing happened! No fin damage or scrapes... I didn't notice until I was moving him into his new bigger tank that his eye was all red. It was the same eye that had popeye and was sticking out. His other eye is fine. But his eye is like... Sheared off? Ugh, I'm all squeamish, but it's kind of still attached but pushed up above the eye socket. Eeeewwww.

So bettafix? Salt? What can I do to prevent infection while it heals over? I have to say he is acting fine and enjoying his new bigger tank!

It could just be poeye, and he jumped into the bucket. If hes acting fine, than maybe he will be. Betta fix, or salt may help.

Poor guy:/ Very, very clean water and a dose of salt. Keep a close eye on him and if it gets infected or he goes down hill you might need to get antibiotics. he will be fine with only one good eye.

Mumma.of.two said:
Poor guy:/ Very, very clean water and a dose of salt. Keep a close eye on him and if it gets infected or he goes down hill you might need to get antibiotics. he will be fine with only one good eye.

Thanks! This poor guy has been through it! I am going to keep his water pristine and add some salt (Epsom or aquarium?) -- I'll move his friend Waffles the snail.

I suppose it is possible he jumped - but then that would mean he is a circus Betta to land that jump!

Well so far so good! His eye is still red but no changes to it- and he continues to swim about happily and eating normally. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom