Betta not doing well after a 12 day vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deliddell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in need of some advice. My betta lives in a 4 gallon planted tank with 3 black racer snails. I've gone on vacation before for a week or less and have not had any issues. I always do a 25% water change, clean the tank and filter, top off and treat the water, cover the tank, and drop in a time released food tablet.

But I just returned from a 12 day trip to find 1/4 of the water evaporated, the food tablet not dissolved completely and making a mess on the bottom, one plant browned, one snail turned upside down and dead, and my poor betta not doing so well. Normally, he is a happy energetic fish who responds to me and eats well. Now he is sluggish at times and other times he is almost spastic. His gorgeous fins are a bit tattered. But the most upsetting thing is that when I feed him, he keeps missing his food. I almost have to put my finger in the water to guide him to it. It's like he can't see it. I've been researching online but it so difficult to diagnose. I don't think he has popeye from the images I've seen though his eyes might be a little protruded. I'm not sure if he has fin/tail rot which would be bacterial. I don't think it's a fungus because there are no symptoms. I don't think it's Ick because there are no white spots but there's rapid darting around the tank and mild labored breathing. When he is still, he tends to lean to one side which he's never done before.

My water levels are good. I've been adding new water and using API StressCoat+ and Aquarium salt. And I removed some plants and the dead snail.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone could give. I'm not sure what to do or what to look for. I feel absolutely terrible that he is not doing well. Bad parent!

Thanks... David

I've attached a couple photos trying to show his eyes and fins.

Attachments

• IMG_6367.jpg
    IMG_6367.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6371.jpg
    IMG_6371.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 88
Could be a little pop-eye. I'd gradually get the tank sorted out again (absolutely very clean water) and skip feeding for several days.

I've been doing 20% water changes every few days. The water is in good condition. I haven't feed him for 2 days. After doing a little more research and with his symptoms, I believe he has swimmers bladder. He had been leaning on the glass a lot or in between the glass and the heater. He doesn't swim much anymore and when he floats, he leans on to his side. And there's a little bloating on his one side. I've read to not feed for a few days, then feed a small piece of thawed pea.

Any thoughts on that?

If you can find some frozen daphnia that you can thaw, it'll be better than pea for a betta. Pea will work if that's what you can find, but bettas are carnivores and they don't always like pea.

He's not taking to the pea. It sinks to the bottom before he even notices it so I've stopped trying. I had to fish the pea pieces out. I looked for daphnia locally but had to order it online. Better late than never.

I've done 2 Epsom salt baths which seem to have helped his digestion and induced a bowel movement. He has regained an appetite and a bit of energy. But he still likes to wedge himself between the glass and the heater to just hang out. I can't wait for him to get back to getting excited when he sees me!

I feel like there are multiple issues here. Aside from the swim bladder, his fins are deteriorating which I'm assuming is fin rot. I've been doing small water changes and adding a little aquarium salt. I'm hoping that helps. His beautiful fins look so sad. He hasn't been very photogenic lately so it's hard to see, but his pectoral fins are not what they used to be.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1455.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1455.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom