Betta not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishaFishay

Aquarium Advice Regular
My bettas heater stoped working a week ago and I bought him a new one on Thursday . He loved it and slept on top of it. The temperature stays at 78°F . He stopped eating Saturday . I fed him aqueon pellets and tetra bloodworms . Hed rather sleep than eat and I'm getting worried now . Will he eat again ? What should I do ? Will api salt help ?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know you are worried that he is hungry, but don't be overly concerned of that yet. Saturday to Wednesday is only 4 days, and bettas can go a while without eating. Let's see if we can figure out why he isn't eating in the mean time.

What are your water parameters?

Is he showing any outward signs of distress?

Is he pooping normally? (Obviously less since he's not eating, but otherwise?) Is he bloated/swollen/constipated?

That'll help point me and others in giving our advice :)

For the moment, I wouldn't treat with aquarium salt. Salt is usually for treating wounds/helping regrowth, it shouldn't be used as a cure-all.

Try upping his heater to 80F. That is within their acceptable temps, maybe he is just cold now for some reason. Warmer temps can also aid in digestion if he happens to be constipated.

Bettas can be picky. Has he always liked the aequeon brand?

Yes he has he perfered pellets than flakes and he started to eat now . I noticed that his tail spears to be a diffrent pattern when I saw a gap and thought it was fin rot and I'm not sure what is causing that I saw like some black redish thing covering the end of the fin

What's the tank size and what is your water change schedule like? A lot if the time fin issues are have something to do with water quality. Does he have any tank mates that could be nipping him?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hes in a 3 gallon tank with filter and heater . No tankmates. I just made a emergency 100% water change due to a nematodes that got in by a plant . But this went on before that . I do water changes one every 2 weeks as the water doesn't get dirty and I have dhg that takes ammonia away .

I would still be doing weekly water changes...at least 50%. Consistently clean water will help heal his fins and prevent fin rot.

I would still be doing weekly water changes...at least 50%. Consistently clean water will help heal his fins and prevent fin rot.

+1 As well, the water changes will also help the plants from becoming over saturated and introduce needed minerals removed by the plants.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks for the advice I'll start doing a wc today :) I can't tell if he has fin rot because he's never had that milky look on his fin

Back
Top Bottom