Betta not eating, a bit lethargic... PLEASE HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiina107

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! In my 8.8 Gallon aquarium is currently housing my female betta fish that I have had for about half a month now. At first she was very excited about eating but lately it seems she completely pays no mind to food at all!!! I cannot seem to figure out why :( my water parameters are fine! Ammonia and nitrites
0, nitrates less than 10ppm, Temp. 76 degrees F... I have no idea why she is not eating or what is causing her current behavior. I just want to try my best to help her :( I don't know what to do!

Is there anything different about her color, is there bloating, are her fins are ok and not discolored or frayed?

I'd bump the temp up to 80.

How often are you doing water changes?

I always do a couple good water changes to start whenever there is something going on. Also if you are using stick tests they are often not accurate. What is the pH of your Bettas water?

Fins look good and overall coloration is vibrant as ever... Stomach seems slightly swelled so I’m thinking maybe she’s constipated or bloated. The pH of all my tanks stay between 8.0-8.2 (not fluctuating in a single specific tank, just approximate values of the ranges of them all)

I’ve been doing 30% water changes every other day since Sunday but stopped yesterday because I was afraid of stressing her out, but will def continue them if you guys think it won’t bother her too much!! Also I’m DEF looking into buying a better heater tomorrow that will raise her tank’s temp to 80° as the current one I am using is preset to around 76°-78°.

This pH is a little high. You can dilute your water with distilled water, or Reverse Osmosis or RO/DI (deionization) usually available at SW fish stores, to reduce the pH.

Try cooked insides of green peas. You can use fresh, frozen or canned, I recommend no salt added. Another option is live Brine shrimp. The movement of them cause interest in eating and also the can have a positive effect to move the digestive track along.

I tried peas(no interest) but I got her to eat a *single* bloodworm today that she scarfed down very quickly. She’s actually been acting quite normal lately :/ not even very lethargic... maybe she’s just an incredibly picky eater? I don’t get it.

Back
Top Bottom