Betta not eating & more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarahgbetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I hope I chose the right place to put this as I have a few issues.

Three days ago, I could not pass up rescuing one of the poor Bettas at my local Walmart. The one I chose looked pretty healthy compared to most that were there. I have him in a 10 gallon tank right now. I have a heater and a filter all set up. The heater is one of the problems. It is supposed to keep my tank at 76F-80F. It's currently been at 73/74 the past two days. I'm not sure how to raise the temperature in the tank now. I'm wondering if this could be why my betta is not eating? He stares at the food but does not eat it. He is interested whenever I come around, so he is not sluggish. He is rather active most of the times, just will not eat. My last problem is that my water is slightly cloudy. The first day it was clear, but the past two days I see that it is cloudy. I have not been overfeeding, and have taken out the food that he has not eaten. Thank you all in advance! :fish1:

20170821_135648.jpg20170821_140005.jpg

Sorry forgot to attach these. How does he look? Please if I need to make any improvements, let me know!

Was the aquarium cycled? If the water is cloudy it could be a bacterial bloom. He may not like the food. Try getting some frozen bloodworms and cutting the cube into quarters. I haven't seen a betta who will refuse bloodworms. Wiggle the worms for him. I just went through a bunch of different foods trying to find one my boy would eat. He finally will eat the Omega One flakes, but they might not work for your boy.

Was the aquarium cycled? If the water is cloudy it could be a bacterial bloom. He may not like the food. Try getting some frozen bloodworms and cutting the cube into quarters. I haven't seen a betta who will refuse bloodworms. Wiggle the worms for him. I just went through a bunch of different foods trying to find one my boy would eat. He finally will eat the Omega One flakes, but they might not work for your boy.
I did not cycle it... :( . I just put in some water and then put the right amount of water conditioner and acclimated him before putting him in. Right now I've tried Bettamin which he's eaten maybe one tiny flake. Then I tried frozen blood worms which I already tried to wiggle around. No luck so far.

Look in the getting started forum for fish-in cycling instructions. If you know anyone with an established tank, you can jump start it. Also, he's getting used to a BIG tank compared to a tiny cup. Let him get used to his new surroundings. He'll be okay without eating for a few days. (Offer it, but don't be too worried if he doesn't eat.)

For the heater, you can try getting a different one. But ~74 shouldn't be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom