Betta not improving--medication advice, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harpreno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a very unhappy betta with some white around his mouth. I tried Mela/Pimafix, but he still was lethargic and hanging around the filter. The LFS suggested erethromycin, which I have been giving for a week. No more hanging around the filter, but he spends his time sleeping on the bottom under a live plant.

He can swim ok, and does occasionally, but he is not a happy fish. I will do another round of antibiotic, as suggested, but is there more I could do? And how do I know if he is suffering, and if euthanasia is indicated? Thanks for any help!

10-gallon heated and filtered tank, 0 ammonia and nitrites, <5 nitrates, 50% PWC each week. I've had my fish for over a year.IMG_6957.JPG

I've been going through this now for a few months. Betta, laying on the bottom 98% of the time. I fasted him on the pea diet. Increased the temp. Treated for worms Levamisole. Sent a video to an expert and was told he's fine, just old. And to enjoy him while I can.

We added 6 Endlers to the tank over the weekend, Saturday. Their presence has stimulated him to swim a bit more. I'm still counting them every morning worried he might accidentally catch one. But so far he hasn't tried.

I've been going through this now for a few months. Betta, laying on the bottom 98% of the time. I fasted him on the pea diet. Increased the temp. Treated for worms Levamisole. Sent a video to an expert and was told he's fine, just old. And to enjoy him while I can.

We added 6 Endlers to the tank over the weekend, Saturday. Their presence has stimulated him to swim a bit more. I'm still counting them every morning worried he might accidentally catch one. But so far he hasn't tried.

Thank you! I am beginning to wonder if this may be a case of old age, too. He was a "rescue fish" from one of the awfullest big box pet stores...

I was going to say, the picture is small, so it's hard to tell... But he looks kind of old to me. For bettas, warm clean water is usually the biggest factor in keeping them healthy, but looks like youve got that under control, so that could just be it.

I was going to say, the picture is small, so it's hard to tell... But he looks kind of old to me. For bettas, warm clean water is usually the biggest factor in keeping them healthy, but looks like youve got that under control, so that could just be it.

Thank you! He is doing better since the antibiotics, but still moving very slowly. (Like me. I totally relate.) After only a year I didn't suspect old age, but considering that he was a "rescue fish," it makes sense. Last night when I was cleaning his tank, I got a closer picture. If you see anything else amiss, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks again.IMG_7066.jpg

Back
Top Bottom