Betta overly stressed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So we have a Betta who was doing fine and dandy in his 2.5 gallon aquarium until the dog decided to run across the floor at 1000 mph for no reason and slide right into the stand the fish was on and knock it all over the floor. The bowl shattered obviously but we recovered the fish immediately and placed him in a small cup while we cleaned up. We put him in my FW planted tank for maybe a few minutes but our Tiger Barb didn't take well to him and was nipping at him and chasing him. Needless to say we got him out right away. So we bought a new little home for him and he will not eat and barely ever move, and this has been going on for about 5 days now. Is there any advice on what to do here? Or will he (hopefully) get out of the doldrums on his own?

How big is his new tank? Did you use any method to cycle the new tank? He also should have a heater, but that wouldn't explain new sluggish behavior.

New tank is the same size, no heater, but we never used a heater with the old tank and he's been fine in there for over 2 years now. Tank is in the same spot and stays at about 72 probably. Never cycled the tank, didn't think it was necessary in a tank that small with only 1 fish, we change the water pretty frequently and also never cycled his previous tank.

It needed to be cycled regardless, and needs a heater regardless.

You did cycle the old tank. You just didn't realize it.

Definitely pick up a small heater. I keep bettas in my community tanks and they do well at about 75 degrees.

I haven't seen any mention of a filter. If you don't have one, get one.

Your fish took quite a shock. Clean, heated water is the best cure. A little StressCoat wouldn't hurt either. Hopefully he pulls through.

I picked up a small filter and heater for the tank, he's finally starting to move around again today and eat as well, so hopefully all is well again. Thanks! I still wonder why he was fine for 2 years w/o a heater or filter though.

As you've found out, bettas are pretty tough fish. Keeping the tank in a room with a steady temperature and doing a lot of water changes approximates a heater and a filter, but having the real thing is better. See if he doesn't look better than ever with the new equipment.

Back
Top Bottom