BETTA SHOCK. help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay I'm gonna read more on that thread you gave me & i'll try to get a testing kit! I'll take everything down & clean everything and I'm gonna get all new gravel, plants ect. & Cycling the tank completly would tank about a little over two months? I know i'm gonna be moving in like march or april would that effect the process?

flame_fish said:
Okay I'm gonna read more on that thread you gave me & i'll try to get a testing kit! I'll take everything down & clean everything and I'm gonna get all new gravel, plants ect. & Cycling the tank completly would tank about a little over two months? I know i'm gonna be moving in like march or april would that effect the process?

Can take 4-8 weeks, yes but can also take less if your lucky or have seeded material. If your Betta is living in an unfiltered, unheated bowl I suggest the fish in cycle method. That way the tank gets cycled and the fish is in a heated, larger tank sooner. Getting a test kit is a must. The API freshwater master test kit is the one to get. Has all the tests you need for a cycling tank.

Moving house usually won't effect a cycled tank. Make sure you keep the filter wet at all times during the move. Take the tank down just before you leave and put it back up ASAP when you get to the new place. A 2.5g will be a breeze to move. You could even leave your Betta in the tank empty 1/2- 2/3 of the water and remove any decorations that may hurt him during the move.

If I take everything out & clean it should ai still use the filter media with waste in it? & If I put my fish in the tank while it cyles wouldn't it die from lack of bacteria?

I also read if I put a cheap fish in my 2.5 while its cycling, it helps the process but should I take them out after 4-8 weeks and put my betta in? Or should I leave them both in there? Sorry for annoying you i'm just trying to do this right!

No need to take any out... Just use what you already have in the tank.I would just give the 2.5 a pwc about 90%.
Letting the fish float inside a bag is never a good thing.
Imo don't know y ppl still doing it.

What I will do is, take 1 cup of his water, one small cup that holds about 3 cup of water.
Do a mini drip system at about 2-3 per sec.

That work 100 time better then bag floating.

flame_fish said:
If I take everything out & clean it should ai still use the filter media with waste in it? IT WILL BE FINE TO USE. I HONESTLY DON'T THINK IT WAS ANYTHING TI DO WITH DECORE/MEDIA IN THE NEW TANK THAT KILLED YOUR BETTA. & If I put my fish in the tank while it cyles wouldn't it die from lack of bacteria?READ THE FISH IN GUIDE. YOU NEED TI DO WATER CHANGES AS NEEDED (AMMONIA OR NITRITE OVER 0.25PPM) BUT YOU ARE DOING THAT ALREADY WITH THE BOWL.
I also read if I put a cheap fish in my 2.5 while its cycling, it helps the process but should I take them out after 4-8 weeks and put my betta in? DO NOT DO THAT IT IS CRUEL!:( Or should I leave them both in there? Sorry for annoying you i'm just trying to do this right!

I wrote in capitals so what I said stood out. Not yelling at you :)

Fish.n.Reptile said:
No need to take any out... Just use what you already have in the tank.I would just give the 2.5 a pwc about 90%.
Letting the fish float inside a bag is never a good thing.
Imo don't know y ppl still doing it.

What I will do is, take 1 cup of his water, one small cup that holds about 3 cup of water.
Do a mini drip system at about 2-3 per sec.

That work 100 time better then bag floating.

Drip acclimatization is a good method. It very slowly exposes the fish to the different water. There are videos on YouTube about it. You would look it up.

lol, okay so I just re-read it and I'm going to take everything out and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the test kit and some live plants hopefully that would help. Also thanks for telling me what and what not to do for what I should and shouldn't do! And weekly water changes if I do the fish in cycle? I want to know if I could put shrimp like 2 shrimp in the tank? or would that be over stocking?

flame_fish said:
lol, okay so I just re-read it and I'm going to take everything out and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the test kit and some live plants hopefully that would help. Also thanks for telling me what and what not to do for what I should and shouldn't do! And weekly water changes if I do the fish in cycle? I want to know if I could put shrimp like 2 shrimp in the tank? or would that be over stocking?

Your test kit will be the defining factor when it comes to water changes. Test every day and as soon as your ammonia or nitrite reaches 0.25ppm or above do a water change. You may have to do a water change everyday (won't take long for a 2.5g tank:)).
When your ammonia and nitrite is 0 for a week straight and you have nitrAtes you are cycled. Then you can go back to weekly PWC.
You can add shrimp but I would recommend at the end of the cycle. They can be quite sensitive to the bad water conditions during a cycle. FYI some bettas are shrimp murderers :D start off with a couple of cheep ones and see how they go.

Okay, i'm ready to start this process :) but thanks a lot for the information :D very useful!

No, it came with my tank but I was going to get some anyways!

okay, kind of an update, yesterday I went to my lfs & brought a ph tester kit, fake plants, gravel, thermomter & something this weekend im going back to get an ammonia & nitrate kit & a better thermomter. I used my filter that already had bacteria in the media; Im doing a fishless cycle again but this time I'm deff cycling a lot longer & do it right, my ph now is at about 7.4 I think & my heater is at 75. Is this good for now?

And I set it up last night & put a small pinch of fish food!

Back
Top Bottom