Betta sick??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazy4fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
My betta doesn't swim around his 10gallon tank. He just stays in one place? Any reason why is he sick? He doesn't have and fungus and is eating good no other symptoms just now swimming around unless he sees me and comes up to say hi.

My betta doesn't swim around his 10gallon tank. He just stays in one place? Any reason why is he sick? He doesn't have and fungus and is eating good no other symptoms just now swimming around unless he sees me and comes up to say hi.
Well, they tend to stay at one spot. I say this because a few of my betta's used to do this also. They might get a bit active, but most of the time, they should be hiding or at the top. Mine goes up and down all around the tank, then just stops at one place for the rest of the day or night.

Sounds like he needs something in his tank to interact with! All my boys have snails, plants, and I even put some small floaty things, like small bottle caps, beads, and such for them to play with. Some folks here even entertain their boys with laser pointers. Even A mirror will excite his day as he will flare at himself. Some live prey will shake up his boring day, maybe brine shrimp, or live Daphnia, and when it gets warmer here ALL my fish will get Mosquito larvae treats. Just find standing water...check it carefully for larvae...and net them up. I rinse mine real well in warm water then let them free swim in a clean clear bowl of tank water to make sure it is all mosquito larvae and not something harmful. Then net the larvae carefully (easy cuz the have to go to the top to breathe) Then give to the fish!Be sure to dump the water they were in outside!!! or you'll have a house full of mosquitoes! And dont worry, your fish WILL find and eat all in their homes!

Sounds like he needs something in his tank to interact with! All my boys have snails, plants, and I even put some small floaty things, like small bottle caps, beads, and such for them to play with. Some folks here even entertain their boys with laser pointers. Even A mirror will excite his day as he will flare at himself. Some live prey will shake up his boring day, maybe brine shrimp, or live Daphnia, and when it gets warmer here ALL my fish will get Mosquito larvae treats. Just find standing water...check it carefully for larvae...and net them up. I rinse mine real well in warm water then let them free swim in a clean clear bowl of tank water to make sure it is all mosquito larvae and not something harmful. Then net the larvae carefully (easy cuz the have to go to the top to breathe) Then give to the fish!Be sure to dump the water they were in outside!!! or you'll have a house full of mosquitoes! And dont worry, your fish WILL find and eat all in their homes!
Good remark. For the mirror, I read it is usually suggest to put it 5 minutes at most.

Good remark. For the mirror, I read it is usually suggest to put it 5 minutes at most.
yes no longer than that as they will get exhausted flaring and trying to get at the reflection....On occasion if the light is good one of my boys will see another of my boys and he gets all worked up LOL then I will move em a little further apart. It's amazing they can see each other that far away and through thick glass...
Sometimes my boys ( and the girls in my sorority) get lethargic and just sit quietly,in a favorite place and only come out to eat or if they see you. Seems to be a trait of bettas. Others days they are active and patrolling their perimeters like small warships looking for trouble.

It definitely depends on the Betta & what he or she has around for stimulation. Most of mine are almost in constant motion but I have one male who around the same each day goes into is cave & "rests". BUT everyone of the gets excited when they see me approach their tank & they think there's a possibility food is on its way. However, its not to say you need to keep an eye on him. Does he look bloated? How long has he been in the 10g? Does the filte produce too much current? does he have plants (real or silk) & caves? Does he have tank mates?

Is your tank heated? I had no idea they needed a heater so my last boy just sat in one place all the time. He was lathargic due to the cooler water.

I have betas that eat all there tank mates...is it ok for them to do that?
So far he like ghost shrimp, rcs, and snails...the snails are the lil riders that come in on plants and he just loves those lil snails....weird?idk

I have betas that eat all there tank mates...is it ok for them to do that?
So far he like ghost shrimp, rcs, and snails...the snails are the lil riders that come in on plants and he just loves those lil snails....weird?idk

Some bettas are like that. My first betta was so aggressive, he continuously tried to attack my ex if he came within 10 feet of the tank. I couldn't even keep pictures of him around, or my betta would beat himself on the glass trying to attack. My last betta was actually afraid of the nerite I put in with him. Needless to say, I laughed very hard when my "fighting fish" bolted in fear of a snail smaller than he was. It's all in the personality of your fish.

Some bettas are like that. My first betta was so aggressive, he continuously tried to attack my ex if he came within 10 feet of the tank. I couldn't even keep pictures of him around, or my betta would beat himself on the glass trying to attack. My last betta was actually afraid of the nerite I put in with him. Needless to say, I laughed very hard when my "fighting fish" bolted in fear of a snail smaller than he was. It's all in the personality of your fish.

My last boy I had to rename. I originally named him Ares after the God of war. I soon realized what a major chicken poop he was so I changed his name to Brave Sir Robin (Monty Python - Holy Grail). He was scared of everything!:D

My last boy I had to rename. I originally named him Ares after the God of war. I soon realized what a major chicken poop he was so I changed his name to Brave Sir Robin (Monty Python - Holy Grail). He was scared of everything!:D

Haha that awsome yea I have anothet beta called Darth Bater

My new one I just got Thursday I named Thomas because he would repeatedly come up to the front of the tank and stare at me like he was telling me he doubted my ability to take care if him. Then again, he did get caught in the filter intake within the first five minutes of being in the tank. Oops.

My boy (honey badger) started doing a 180 about 2weeks ago. He was always out swimming around, checking things out, and if honey was sleeping , he would come out when I came close. He shares an 80 gallon with 2 angels, 2 Otos, 7rummy nose and 6 zebra danios.
They never pick on him, and he didn't bother them, they were interested in one another but respectful, they had a lot of space, life was good, for 6 months, all but the Otos were part of the tank cycling together .

Then honey started hiding alot, he was no longer playful, barely showed interest in food. His color started to get dull.
then 4 days ago he didn't even come out to eat, we couldn't find him most of the time so I kept the lights low, (blue LEDs instead of full bright whites) and still for 2 days .. No honey at all.
So I picked up a 5 gallon tank last night, put soft live plants, his floating log, and a tiered soft rock.
We added half of the water from his tank, and half fresh, I added betta fix as well.

When we put him in, he sank , sat at the bottom..
Then he got sucked and stuck to, the intake, we freed him then put a decorations and some plants around it so it wouldn't happen again.

He has not left that floating log, I wasn't even sure he was alive, but his fins were moving, and he came out for a brief, very brief minute when i put in a couple of flakes and a couple of pellets , wanted to give him a choice.
The log just floats around and around and honey stays i it,
I afraid I'm going to lose him.

Back
Top Bottom