betta sickness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancersmama79

Aquarium Advice Freak
have a red male veil tail got him 2 months ago and recently added 2 mystery snails to his tank... this morning his head looked swollen and looked like he had cottony patchy white spot over the top of his head and a couple other white spots near his head on his body... I immediately did a 60 to 75 percent water change and separated him into a 1 gal tank with stress coat and aquarium salt. I put them back in the 5gal with stress coat but NO salt. My betta is still eating and very active and the cottony look of the spot has gone away but he still has the spots... Any ideas whether this is Ich or a Fungus and how to treat???

Attachments

• 100_0855.jpg
    100_0855.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0859.jpg
    100_0859.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_0874.jpg
    100_0874.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 100
his spots are spreading over his head and i think its due to the tank is just started cycling... checked evrything today and the ammonia was .50 and the nitrite and nitrate were still at 0 ph is 7.6 i did a 50% water change and added some aquarium salt and now my filter has quit working so ive had to order another one so this is gonna set back my cycling even further...

my betta is still swollen in his belly and now in his rectal area... ive given him some blanched pea and am only giving him one betta pellet in the morning and eve... ive also started giving him bettamin which is a combination of betta flakes and brine shrimp.... alternating between that and the pellets.... his tank is currently cycling so im thinking hes also stressing from that as well... did a water change today and that seemed to help as hes barely moved all day... he just lays on the bottom any suggestions???

dancers swollen body

these were taken just a few minutes ago. im thinking he has dropsy or swim bladder??? can anyone help please??? hes been very lethargic laying at the bottom of his tank since last night and he had one pellet this morning... hes in a 5gal tank with 2 small mystery snails and i did a 50% water change adding aquasafe dechlorinator and aquarium salt. the ammonia level prior to water change was at .50 and ph was 7.6 and nitrite and nitrate was 0.... I dont know where to start other than offering him part of a blanched pea did that last night and he ate it...but his poor belly just seems to be getting bigger.... :confused:

Attachments

• 100_0959.jpg
    100_0959.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0958.jpg
    100_0958.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_0960.jpg
    100_0960.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_0962.jpg
    100_0962.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 71
Try and get the ammonia down to as close to zero as you can. At the moment he is not pineconing so it just looks like he has eaten too much. Stop feeding him. Don't give him anything. He will be fine for a few days without food. Continue to monitor him and see if you can tell if he is producing waste. I don't know what else to suggest.

dancer update

he now seems to have a sac like thing under his belly.... what i would call his underbelly... hes still swollen and i took some pictures but not sure if it shows the sac very well but u can tell theres something there its a brownish greenish color and hes not done much but lay at the bottom of his tank the last 2 days... he doesnt move much... ive been changing the water pretty frequent to keep the ammonia level down as much as possible and havent fed him... not sure what else i can do for him... :nono:

Attachments

• 100_0963.jpg
    100_0963.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0964.jpg
    100_0964.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0965.jpg
    100_0965.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_0970.jpg
    100_0970.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 70
now whatever it was that was attached to him has fallen off and he is more active tho his belly is still swollen and u can see where it used to be attached.... i laid dont know if he rubbed his body against the gravel to get it off or not i was laying down with my daughter but he seems to be ok theres no blood or anything like he had wounded himself or torn it away.... just worries me hes like my child not just a fish in a tank... if i could id pick him up and hold him lol

I'm sorry I didn't get to the thread earlier. It looks like a really big poop! He would be feeling heaps better after that. :) keep fasting him a bit longer. From now on cut right back on his feeding. Even skip a day or two a week to prevent it happening again. Bettas a greedy piggies when it comes to food.

So glad he is doing better! He's really a pretty fish. I posted a thread a few days ago because my betta was bloated. I haven't fed him for 4 days now. My 5yr old dumped a ton of food in there and King Neptune didn't do a good job resisting temptation. I'm going to feed him tomorrow. I hope the white spots go away. Best of luck to you and your fishy friend!

thank you :) hes doing better since his big BM lol i did a 50% water change and that also helped.... his spots have turned into scales that flaked off and are healing....

dancersmama79 said:
thank you :) hes doing better since his big BM lol i did a 50% water change and that also helped.... his spots have turned into scales that flaked off and are healing....

Fantastic!

(I had no idea fish could get bloated and constipated until now!)

i had read about it on another betta site when i was doin research before i got mine... things to look for and how to treat... he has gotten constipated before but not this bad this is the worst i think ive seen im keeping a check on their ammonia level and i think my snails are mating as well not sure ive only had them for less than 2 weeks.... they are tossing each other around and attached to each others shells.... lol its funny to watch really...

Back
Top Bottom