Betta sleeping at bottom of tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Betta, Captain Jack, seems to sleep at the bottom of his tank, often in a corner or wrapped around one of my aquarium plants. Is this normal, or could he be sick? When I turn the light on he starts swimming around again, so he's not getting caught or stuck as far as I can tell... It's my first time with a tank, and I want to be sure that he's healthy and happy in there. During the day and when the light is on, he's pretty active in swimming around, and he goes crazy when I open the lid to feed him, so he doesn't seem sick... Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about him too much if he's acting normal throughout the day. Mine sleeps near the surface actually, in his nest of water sprite. This I hear is how they sleep in the wild as well. But I guess it's whatever they like! Haha.

Mine used to sleep in my blocked off overflow pipe, he would of only had about 2cm of depth at most, but he loved there.

image-3020579522.jpg

image-1135855855.jpg

You can see his head popping out on second one

I have two male bettas that often lay on the substrate. One of them is especially silly and can sometimes be found in a nose dive position in a plant. ;)

Back
Top Bottom