Betta species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the deal behind some betta species being more coveted than others?

Do you mean actual species, or just different colors and tail types?

If it's species, than Splendens is wanted for the long/flashy fins that they can grow. And because of this they are everywhere. The other species are almost like a novelty, especially depending on where you live (I never see anything but splendens locally). Some people might like to get one of these species just for something different. And all the species have there own quirks that make them nice; like the color of the emerald betta, or having a mouth brooding betta.

If it's the color/tail shape, then they are wanted more many different reasons. A lot of people like the less common tail types (especially true half moons, which I've heard are hard to breed for), whether for the novelty or the look it self. And many people are interested in finding a betta of a particular color, and will try hard to find what they want. Also some colors are hard to breed for, so that adds to the novelty of some bettas.

Did you have any specific species in mind?

Tails

I had thought that different tails meant different species. Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose the more proper question would be why some types of tails are more coveted than others. Is it harder to get the halfmoons as opposed to the kind you get at the LFS? Or would the LFS carry a little of everything? I was checking online and the prices for bettas were pretty crazy.

:fadein:

check out the betta sections on aquabid.com ... you can find a lot of beautiful fish pictures on there which can help you see the different tail types as well as see how much specific fish are going for. And yes, prices for those "pure" bettas are incredibly high which is why I like getting my from wally world (actually, one of the females I picked up has fins much like crown tails... wish I had a digi camera to show everyone). Oh, I also think most stores will order fish for you, so that way you can find your halfmoon, etc...

Wally World?

Isn't that a fictitious place from the National Lampoon movie? ;P K, I'll look around a bit. Maybe I will be able to get the local Petsmart to order it for me if they don't have it.

try a non-chain petstore, I highly doubt petsmart will order fish for you... athough it is worth a try

Back
Top Bottom