Betta swimming in her side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katana

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was at petsmart getting some supplies and saw this betta seperated from the rest. She had a note with dates on it and was swimming on her side.
I asked the people if she was given peas for swim bladder and they had no clue what I was talking about but gave me the fish free of charge.
So I'm going to get some peas to see if that helps. But just in case, what else would cause a betta to swim on her side? She looks healthy otherwise and very energetic.

Katanas - because swords are awesome! (Even swordtails!)

The girl there said the fish had been that way for two weeks. Poor fish! Her water looked somewhat clean, old food pellets from that mornings feeding were sitting on the bottom. But there was no poo in there.

Sounds like a swim bladder problem to me. Only way I know that would help is peas. Could also have to do with it's labyrinth organ, might be messed up.

Should I put a bubbler in her tank in case she needs help breathing? I know some people say bubblers don't really help much but might be worth a try. But then it might disturb the water more and make it harder for her to swim.

Oh, she is currently in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. I'm in an apartment, hoping to get a house in a month or two (July at the latest) so when I do move she will get a twenty gallon tank I have in storage

It is likely that the fish has the rotational disease. It also says a Drehwurm. Myxobolus cerebral.
See it once in Google Wikipedia

I read one article quickly (I'm running errands right now) and it said whirling disease makes them appear chase their tail and such. She just sort of floats sideways and swims that way (one side or the other)

Consider using Epsom salts (pure no additives from the grocery or pharmacy store)
1 tablepoon per gallon of total tank water - dissolve first in water. For the initial dose add either half and then half about 12 hours later, or you could do a few ounces say divide it in 4 and do every 8 hours. Kinda depends on if your are away from home for work or scholl for example. Just add so the fish can get used to it.

Then as you do your pwc add in the correct amount per dose.

I do hot water from the tap into the cup to dissolve, then add to the pwc treated water.

Then as you keep the water changes up a 1-2 quarts a day, add in enough to keep the level and try this for around 2 weeks and see how he is doing. I use a plastic cup for dipping out the water from the tank and put it into a gallon pitcher and mark with a sharpie if it doesn't have any lines on it for 1/4 1/2 3/4G (from dollar store) and that way it is easy to use/know how much water ou are changing.

Also you can mix up a gallon (say in a gallon jug) of epsom salt water and use that to add in what you take out. Keep at room temp. Makes it so much easier.

It is approximate dosing - does not have to be exact so don't stress over that.

Also if you have any fresh garlic cloves you can squeeze a drop (say from a garlic press) of garlic oil juice into a dish with the peas or pellets, and then feed.

Thanks! I'll have to try that :)
I did feed her some pea yesterday and she ate it.
Fed her some more pea today and she ate it but now she is sinking, so I put her in her cup with low water so she can get to the surface easier. I have the cup floating in her tank so her water will stay warm.
No sign of poo anywhere so she must really be backed up!

I looked up a video of whirling illness and she doesn't have that at all. She swims normally, just sideways. But I appreciate the suggestion! Now I'm aware of another fish illness and learned something new :)

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom