betta with ammonia poisoning :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Due to my poor care my poor baby betta now has ammonia poisoning :( his fins and gills are red and he just sits at the bottom and doesnt eat. I've been doing lots of water changes this week trying to get him better which he does seem to be feeling a little better. He's in a gal bowl at the moment because his 5gal tank isnt cycled yet. I dont have a heater small enough for his bowl so I took and wrapped a bunch of sweaters around it and gave it tthe light off my five gal. Is there anything else I can do for him?

I just looked at the 5gal and there seems to be some sort of weird slime at the top of the tank..... I had a frog in the tank for a few weeks a i thought I washed it out but apparently not :( what do I do now? Now my filters contaminated too.....should I put him in my breeder net in my goldfish tank until I can get his tank up and running. Even tho I sometimes have high nitrates those water parameters are stable. Gah :(

Sorry I didn't see th earlies. Have you tested the 5g with a liquid water test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph? If so, what are the readings? When you say your filter is contaminated what do you mean, with what? The weird slime? Is the slime floating on top of the water or is something that's growing off the sides of the tank? Many times a Betta tank will have a film on the top of the water because most people have the outflow so restricted. Personally, I would put him back into the 5g, test the water daily & do 50% water changes if the ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or >40 nitrates.

Sorry I didn't see th earlies. Have you tested the 5g with a liquid water test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph? If so, what are the readings? When you say your filter is contaminated what do you mean, with what? The weird slime? Is the slime floating on top of the water or is something that's growing off the sides of the tank? Many times a Betta tank will have a film on the top of the water because most people have the outflow so restricted. Personally, I would put him back into the 5g, test the water daily & do 50% water changes if the ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or >40 nitrates.

The parameteters for the five gal are filtered. No nitrites or ammonia only nitrates. The weird slime was from lack of water movement. Now I'm dealing wwith a fungus on his side. The red on his gills has greatly diminished.

Back
Top Bottom