betta with big belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dozer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a betta for about 5 months...I've noticed over the last few days, his belly is getting bigger and bigger, and his colouring in his face is getting grey. He is also not as active as he once was...Just going up to the surface for air..( more than normal ) I actually don't think he's going to last much longer (just watching him now)...not acting very good at all. He's also twitching his head occasionally... The same thing happened to my other betta..he died shortly after starting to look that way..... I know this betta is not very old, as he was fairly small when I got him with short fins....He really became very beautiful..Is this some kind of infection?

Are the scales sticking out? Sounds like constipation. Try feeding him a little piece of chopped up pea.

Bloating in bettas is usually caused by either constipation or a serious internal infection that results in a symptom called dropsy. Is your betta's belly simply swollen (constipation), or are the scales sticking up giving it a pinecone-like appearance (dropsy)?

What do you normally feed the betta? A diet rich in fresh and frozen foods lacks sufficient fiber and can cause constipation. Bettas are very susceptible to constipation, but it's pretty easy to treat and prevent. Dropsy is a completely different matter and must be treated quickly and aggressively if the betta is to have any chance of surviving

Pick up some Epsom salt at the drugstore and some Maracyn and Marycyn 2 at the lfs. These three medications should be in the medicine chest of anyone who keeps bettas. Read these two articles that explain treatment of constipation and dropsy in bettas:
http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/332/
http://www.healthybetta.com/articles/Illness Diagonsis/dropsy.html

I would transfer the betta to a heated 1 gallon container where it will be easier to treat and monitor him. Do daily water changes to keep the water absolutely clean. If the betta really doesn't look good, stop feeding and treat with Epsom salts and antibiotics. If you just suspect constipation, try fasting for a few days followed by feeding a bit of cooked, shelled pea. Good luck and keep us informed.

Back
Top Bottom