Betta with black fungus? Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm a newcomer here, and a newcomer to the fish scene. I've posted in Introductions, but I need some help here please. I've been keeping two bettas, Magellan and De Gama, since February, and I've fallen in love with them. Also with the weird little tanks I'm keeping them in (described in my Profile). But my light pink Magellan has some issues so I took him down to PetSmart where the head fish guy said he had fungus, and a tumor/cyst in his bottom fin (which he thinks I should cut out :blink: I'll tackle that on here later, but am more concerned right now about the fungus. Here's your sick-fish form, and yet more blathering on below. Hope you can help!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Betta half-moon male (light pink) with 1) darker pink/red patch or rash on his head and 2) light black streaks in his tail and fins and very dark black edge rimming his flared gills, plus dark black patch on his throat/underside beneath gills.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

A week ago, before I started medication (API Pimafix, treats fungal infections), parameters were zero on ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates; pH is consistently high 7-low 8; today, after a week of no water changes (per directions) all remained at 0 except ammonia, which was a tinge greenish, so 0-.25.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

One-half gallon tank, set up in February 2014.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

No filtration.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

One betta, one nerite snail. Betta is about 6 months old

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I don’t vacuum gravel (tank is NoClean Aquarium, sucks up some residue from the bottom through a tube when you add water to the top; search NoClean Aquarium to see short video of how it works if you like). Did a 25% water change yesterday, per directions on Pimafix, after a week of no water changes, per directions on Pimafix. To the 1/2-gal tank I added one drop (from a large dropper) of Pimafix per day for past 7 days, then changed 25% water, then continue (today) to add one drop of Pimafix per day. But I see no improvement in the black spot on his throat/belly or gills, and I’m concerned that I have the wrong diagnosis. More on that below.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

About 3 months. Acclimated with floating fish bag in tank water, then releasing.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Per breeder’s recommendation, have fed only 6-8 pellets Attison Betta Pro 2xday.

Since I’ve seen no improvement, I’m worried about continuing the Pimafix for another week with no water changes, as bottle says is okay to do “if needed.” NoClean Aquariums recommend 50-100% water change every day or two, which I do (most usually 50% day and weekly 100% water change, but sometimes 100% more often [it's so easy]).

I’m also concerned because I’ve been looking at fish for sale on eBay and Aquabid, and I’ve seen several light-colored fish on Aquabid with the same blackness I see on Magellan (my pink betta). I don’t think professional breeders would post pictures of sick fish online to sell; seems like that would be bad for business. So I’m wondering if this really sounds like fungus to you, should I continue with the Pimafix for another week, and what then if the black hasn’t cleared up?

Hmm, something else: About three weeks ago, I switched Magellan from a 3-gal tank (which has had the same parameters, same timeframe) into this smaller tank. I’m also concerned that De Gama may have this black coloration fungus, but he’s blue-black so how would I tell? Is it better to treatment as a precaution or not? (De Gama (the blue-black) had been in the 1/2-gal, but I switched them because I thought De Gama might be nibbling on his tail and could use more room. I’m ordering another, larger tank for Magellan too, and will use this half-gal as a quarantine/treatment tank, but that’ll be another month.

I have pictures, which I will now try to figure out how to post. Thank you SO MUCH for any advice you can give me! I’m loving this fish thing, and want to get more bettas, but I’ve got to be sure I can take care of them properly first. Thanks again! - Ann

Attachments

• Red Rash Top of Head.jpg
    Red Rash Top of Head.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Black underside 2.jpg
    Black underside 2.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Black gills.jpg
    Black gills.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 435
  • 3MonthsAgo.jpg
    3MonthsAgo.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Can I ask what tap water dechlorinater you use when making water changes? Also if you are checking ammonia with liquid based test kit and it is always 0?

Wondering if could be ammonia burns / high ammonia.

black fungus

I use Seachem Prime, and my ammonia is always 0, sometimes edging toward .25 (I do full water changes frequently because it's really easy in my little aquarium). I use API liquid testing kit. Any ideas? Thanks so much -- Ann

ammonia burns?

My tank is only half a gallon, so dosage is difficult. Usually I pour some liquid in the cap, pour it back into the bottle, and then swish the cap in the fish tank to get a little out. Usually there's a drop or so in there.

I use Seachem Prime, and my ammonia is always 0, sometimes edging toward .25 (I do full water changes frequently because it's really easy in my little aquarium). I use API liquid testing kit. Any ideas? Thanks so much -- Ann

This all sounds great. Researching here but train ends soon, I'm a bit stumped if anyone out there may know. Black fungus I've never heard of. The rash suggests bacterial but yeah, re-reading.

The guy at PetSmart said the redness was nothing, just a change of color, but it looks a little raised to me. The redness was why I took him in, and then the fish guy focused on the black streaks and patch on his stomach, which I had noted but had thought was part of his color developing as well. I'm just really confused about what needs to be treated and what doesn't. I really appreciate your help. Thanks so much -- Ann

Still thinking :( The blackness I've seen is from high ammonia but that seems ruled out. Is there any chance any other chemicals could be getting into the tank? Does it have a cover?

Can I ask when it started and has the red/black gotten worse ? Also where did it start - any other details. Any change in behaviour over time?

Also I assume ph is fine from the high pwc schedule but is that consistent?

Is the black solid black or redish black like bruising?

black fungus(?) and reddish head coloration

I so appreciate your being willing to work with me on this! Did you see the pictures I added in the original post? (If you click on them, they are labeled.) One pictures shows the black on his gills(?) (the part that sticks out under his throat when he flares) pretty well from the side, but it's even darker when you see it from the front. The last one (bottom right) is a picture of him when I first got him--light silver-pink. No black skin under the pink scales, no dark pink on his fins. When those turned up (as can be seen in the other pictures), I thought it was just his color maturing. The red head came later, as did the light black streaks in his fins and the heavy black on his throat gills. I haven't seen any change in those for quite a while (weeks).

I do have a cover on the tank, but I notice cat hairs still get in there (I assume when I change the water or take the little cover off to feed).

On pH, I'm actually a little confused about how I'm supposed to use the test kit. I tested the water using the regular pH solution, and the water was the darkest blue (7.6). So I thought maybe that indicated I should test with the high pH kit, and that came up about the second-third color, goldish-brown (8.0) Every time I've tested, those have been the colors/numbers. (Does that mean I only have to test with the high pH kit, when I know the numbers are that high, or do you test with both every time in case there's a big fluctuation?)

One last question for now: Did I write too much in the original post? Do I put people off responding with that much writing, or is it just that this is actually a real stumper that no one but you is willing to take on? I'll be more concise--make a list or something--if you think that would be appreciated by the group. Thanks -- Ann

Just my opinion, but you simply gave all the information you have. Sometimes that gets long. It's more likely people are stumped. When you don't know what it is, other than offer sympathy, it's difficult to say much.

Btw, the real problem with long is when it is not in paragraphs, which does not apply in your case.

First always try clean water. If what is wrong doesn't respond and you are not sure what it is, try a mild remedy. Just be sure to check your particular species tolerance for that remedy. That's why aquarium salt, Melafix, or Pimafix are pretty popular things to try for non-specific ailments. i don't know Bettas that well so check with the Betta experts for the best, safe, mild remedy to try if clean water (as in larger more frequent changes) gives no results.

From what you say and show I lean to its being bacterial. AFAIK, most freshwater fish disease is gram negative if bacterial so that is something to keep in mind, generally.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

Just a note, my pH hangs at 7.8. Just match the tube as closely to the card as you can. Yes using the high pH test is the one you want. To me golden brown is 7.4. 7.8 is orange brown and 8.0 is dark brown. But only you can see how it matches your card

black fungus(?) and reddish head coloration

Carylov, thanks so much for answering several of my questions there! I appreciate your encouragement too. Sincere thanks -- Ann

Yes, this seems pretty unusual - if it was ich/white spot you would get more replies.

I would try and get the larger tank as soon as possible, add a filter and have it cycled. imo it can't be helping compared to a larger more stable tank (which I think is 5 gal min).

If he is eating well and looks happy I would discontinue the pimafix. A medication should get some results within a week mostly. Also pimafix I've found can kill off otherwise healthy fish so no point continuing without a result. If it gets worse, can always restart.

I don't think it is fungal, black spot or other parasites. Either bacterial, chemical burns or just natural. Due to the length of time with this and that he seems well, it seems low level so normally just more water changes but you already do heaps. So hence the suggestion on a larger tank a bit sooner.

more pictures, and lots of thanks!

Thanks so much, you guys. I'm going to take Delapool's advice, go for bigger tank right away. By the way, this yellow fish pictured online has much the same black gill coloration as my pink fish has (though I think my guy has more) -- so maybe it's not abnormal?

I so appreciate everyone's responses. My same fella has a lump in his tail that the fish store guy said I ought to cut out at some point. I'll post pictures in a new thread later. Thanks all -- Ann

Attachments

• fwbettashm1399013405-1.jpg
    fwbettashm1399013405-1.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 123
  • Black gills-1.jpg
    Black gills-1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,742
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom