betta with black spot disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think my betta may have black spot disease, but I am not sure. I don't know what it looks like. I have been trying to take pics but my camera is less than crap. :roll: SO are there any pictures ANY where that I can see of black spot disease? I googled it, but couldn't find any pics. And I know people will ask, so... 10 gallon tank. 80degrees. 0Ammo, 0nitrites, nitrates 20, ph 7.8 weekly water changes, usually half. The spots are not regular in shape and are only on his body. Very small. tia!

Hi Meredith,
My betta's anal fin once turned black at the tip and then that black tip fell off. 8O I used a turkey baster to get it out of the tank. I couldn't really pinpoint a cause, but I used BettaMax (an antibiotic -- powder form in a capsule) and it healed the edge of the fin, plus the betta didn't have any other occurances. He healed pretty fast and was back to normal quickly. Your parameters look great. Is your filter producing too much current? I think that doing a water change of 50% every week may be too much. I do a 25% change once a week. You don't need to change that much water every week if your parameters are good, your tank is cycled, and you're not overstocked or overfeeding. IME bettas don't seem to like that much of a water change, and if he's stressed, then that's when illnesses seem to occur.

I have a little corner filter, the kind that you use with an air pump. There is not a lot of current, but lots of bubbles. I dont think he is stressed, but then I cant read his mind so he may be unhappy with something. His fins are actually looking MUCH better than when I bought him. The were sorta pinched looking, and smallish. They have grown and really fanned out. Im so proud :D The spots almost look like he has little bits of dirt stuck behind some of his scales (they are not sticking out). I am going to try again with the pictures.

I know this is kind of a dumb question...sorry! Do you think the little spots are just part of his coloring? I've seen some bettas, red ones in particular, that seem to have a little black outline or edge to each scale.

Other than that, how about parasites? Is he scratching or flashing? Does he look overly skinny? It's good that his fins are looking better. I just came across some pics of my bettas when they were first new, and now their fins are longer and more colorful too.

you know, I was wondering that myself. I am just not sure. I went to the library to see if I could find any pictures of black spot, and ALL of their books on fish diseases were gone. Oh well. I will just keep trying.

How is your betta doing now? Maybe the spots are part of his coloring. If it was a parasite or other disease, you would probably know it by now. The bettas that I've seen with the black edges on their scales were very pretty!

lol, it figures! checked out the diseases section in fish profiles, and this is what I got...Black spot..Description coming soon. HA HA. I just cant figure it out. It could be his coloring, but its very irregular in spacing and size. And I truly dont know if he is scratching, because every time I get NEAR his tank, he gets VERY excited and just swims all over the place and wags his tail at me and begs for food. SO I am going to borrow my mothers digi and try and get pics with that. Then you guys can tell me what you think. OH and I just read about the betta pics on the fish profiles :oops: I will check that out too. :D

Back
Top Bottom